The most disappointing games of 2017

Mass Effect Andromeda and Civ 6 were major disappointments for me.

You might still want to get it, unless the particular criticism of the pacing is a dealbreaker. The other things are a matter of taste, and just didn’t happen to work for me. Obviously it clicked with a lot of others.

But the pacing I feel pretty strongly about; it takes a long time to get going, and apparently is like 40 hours to finish. For me, that’s 3-4x too long for this kind of game.

:-D

Basically they tried to eliminate grinding by making all of the loot suck, except for a few easy to achieve objectives that reset each week. What’s the point of spending 4 hours running a difficult raid, when you’d get get same rewards in half an hour of just aimlessly wandering about? And then they combined that with making all of the difficult content kind of bad, so that nobody wanted to play it just for the challenge or fun of it.

Civ 6 was this year? Because if so, yeah, I should add to my list of disappointments, even considering my very low expectations after Civ 5.

That’s accurate. Moreover the crux of the upgrade path is about making things in the game less annoying as opposed to making the game more fun. I’d probably put it as the most overrated game this year as opposed to disappointing, but I can see how one leads to the other.

Civ 6 was a 2016 disappointment.

@jsnell missed it by that much. ;)

Yeah I wasnt dissapointed by Breath of the Wild because it wasnt really looking forward to it but it is one of the worst games I played this year for sure. The Switch is awesome however, just not Zelda.

My disappointment in Civ6 extends into 2017!

Well now I’m in a pickle! You’ve made me want to play your most disappointing games. I guess that’s a success of sorts.

Does everyone on this forum hate Breath of the Wild? No wonder Tom refuses even to try it.

The only game I could really say disappointed me this year would have to be Destiny 2. And that’s more on me, I don’t really know what I expected but I was hoping for more than just basically Destiny, but with a new paint job. It’s not a bad game at all and I still play it but I don’t see it taking over my life the way the first one did. Maybe that’s a good thing.

hah! No I think the majority of folks here love Breath of the Wild.

It is interesting how polarising it is though!

I don’t hate it. In fact, I like it. But I do think it’s very overrated.

I didn’t hate it, but I thought it was utterly mediocre. After the initial glow of “Ooh! Link open world!” wore off, it felt like the emptiest, blandest game space ever.

I’ve said this before but I think it’s this years GTA4. Something about Zelda just flips a trigger in game reviewers brains and they start handing out 10s. Even Skyword Sword which seems to be looked back on pretty negatively has 93 on Metacritic.

I feel confident I could name one thousand games that had less interesting worlds than Breath of the Wild. It’s like we’re talking about completely different games.

I’m no game reviewer, and I’ve not played all the Zelda games, the ones I have played were all pretty good. But I don’t even really put Breath of the Wild in the same category, it feels like a different genre of game to me.

I found it pretty bland like the other folks. There’s just nothing to find, “oh look another shrine, hooray?” Enemy variety is generally pretty bland too.

That’s more about the title of the game than the gameplay.

Yeah, it’s really fascinating. I’m a bit envious of the people who find something interesting in every nook and cranny of that world. But to me the world was boring and empty; I tried very hard to explore and find the cool stuff, since that’s the expectations that had been set by all the coverage and all the talk about the game. And it just never happened.

That’s where I’m at, as well. Breath of the Wild is my biggest disappointment of the year. I bought a Switch specifically to play the game and I went in expecting to love it as I found the art style really appealing and I’m a big fan of open-world games (especially Far Cry 2). But it just never worked for me. I wanted to enjoy it, but I found playing it almost a chore. When I loaded it up, it wasn’t because I actually wanted to play it but instead because I felt obligated to do so.

Completely agree although I think you are being too kind :)

Honestly I really think Zelda BoW is garbage and it came in with a head start because it was Nintendo who I have massive respect for when it comes to gameplay. But the gameplay was awful. terrible grinding, jesus what is up with the decay system, empty world with scattered brain dead NPC’s in it, cringe makingingly awful writing. Bleh. Oh and fucking puzzle boss battles, jesus.

It takes everything I love about open world games and does the opposite.

On the flipside I LOVE Ghost Recon Wildlands which Tom didnt care for. Although as he thought that game was bland, wait till he gets a load of Zelda :)

For me, the biggest disappointment this year was DiRT 4. After DiRT Rally, I was expecting to be blown away again, but this time with infinite replay value because all the tracks are made via random generator instead of being hand-crafted like in DiRT Rally.

It turns out hand-crafted tracks are way better than the ones in DiRT 4. 4’s tracks are just not as interesting. And it all starts feeling like the same section of track over and over after a while, especially in places like Spain and one of the other ones. Australia and Michigan were a bit better in that regard, but overall the game just felt very bland in comparison to the hand-crafted DiRT Rally.

Surprisingly, I agree with Prey. There was no bite to it. You just slogged on and on with boring powers/weapons through a variety of environments with no real point behind it. I didn’t even finish.