The most disappointing games of 2017

My biggest disappointment of 2017 is this thread. :(

My only disappointment this year is how blurry American Truck Simulator looks in VR. The immersion is through the roof, you just feel like Mr Magoo if he drove a truck. Next-gen VR can’t get here soon enough!

Shame to hear that about SPAZ2. I liked the first one a good deal and was hoping the second would be more of the same (but with native controller support). I’m still interested in checking the game out, but now that will be with greatly tempered expectations.

The more the potential, the bigger the disappointment.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 2017 did a lot of things right. They did many things people asked for. And then 💩 over all of it.

Shadows of Mordor 2 had this interesting ideas of commanding ordes of orcs, then they did the 💩 thing again.

Destiny 2, pretty much the same 💩 thing.

That’s the real puzzle in there!
Hidden Folks isn’t much a game, but more of a toybox that reminds me of those lovely Humonguous games like Freddi Fish. We enjoy making weird noises and seeing strange little things pop up poking here and there, so it was an instant hit in the house, but I wouldn’t recommend it for the base… “gameplay”, if we can call it that.
Playing it on tablet is very satisfying, which makes me wonder why the Humonguous games aren’t available on iOS!

Biggest disappointment for me was definitely Thimbleweed Park. What a horrible ending to a game. The puzzle design was pretty good, but the story was non-existent, and the ending spit in your face.

MEA was my PC GOTY and simultaneously the most disappointing.

I loved the very last puzzle in the game. But yeah, the story drove itself off a cliff and into a chasm of extremely awful narrative tropes.

Ohhh can you expand on this more?

The game had a 5 year development cycle and they rebooted/reset/changed their design at the 3 year part so it was obvious that had the game taken “only” 2 years it would have benefited from a third in polish.

Even having 50-75% of the ME universe and lore (missing many alien races) many of the basic base establishing and combat mechanics of the game were solid. I played it to 100% DESPITE shitty gamerbro writing and dialogue, forgettable companion NPCs.

It felt like there was another 10-25% of the story that was left to tell (Quarian DLC) and while the Ryders were dumb blank slates (I felt they looked fine except for the gamer swag headphone cosmetic DLC) it was a disappointment that the overblown animation broohaha killed the whole franchise for now and any possibility of a trilogy to explore further or tie up anything just hinted at in the first MEA and now, only, game.

I was hoping to try this game if it was ever released for PC.

It’s first party Sony so zero chance.

Someone’s got to stick up for BoTW in this thread. I think Nintendo nailed the compromise between accessibility and depth. BoTW hooked my wife and 7 year old son like no other game has. His friends are playing it, and his friends’ non-gamer parents are playing it.

For those who were disappointed with it, I’m not sure what you were expecting. I finally played Windwaker a couple of years back, and IMHO BoTW is superior in every way. Are you comparing it to Horizons? Skyrim? Fallout? Or fond memories of Zeldas from long ago?

Whew! People are pissed over that Nier entry!

Yes, Andromeda would be my game of the year by a long shot but I’m extremely disappointed that all the bullshit over the animations and bugs managed to effectively kill the series.

The screenshot of HZD is so trolly.
Your FACE is the most disappointing game of 2017, @tomchick!

Did the animation non-issues kill it, or the transition to an ok-ish open world?

Neither, it just was an average game that lacked polish, didn’t have great production values and didn’t have great writing. The problem is that Bioware wasn’t happy with an average game, they wanted a big hit that could start a new best selling trilogy.

Also you guys do gamers a disservice when you hand wave around pretty embarrassing animation issues on launch (and even after launch they were still not great). This stuff would be fine if it was an indie studio/low budget game, but this is freaking bioware and a mass effect game. We know they can do better if they really want to.

I just let it go on this forum. That game has won 95% of the GotY awards this year, it sold a ton and there were countless articles and blog posts about how incredible it is for months after release. How are you going to argue with someone who looks at that game and calls it “garbage”? Not worth it.

My biggest disappointment in 2017 was that I couldn’t get motivated to finish season 3 of GW2 so I could try out the new expansion stuff. Maybe next year.

Except we are detailing actual flaws with the game that seemingly most reviewers don’t even mention or seriously downplay. It would be one thing if we said it was garbage but didn’t back up our complaints…