The most overrated games of 2014

Yes because those Transformers movies were works of unbelievable art!

That's certainly true. I should also say that I didn't hate either of the games or anything. It's just that I feel they didn't live up to their inspirations. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Resi 4 & Riddick over the spiritual successors regardless of the age difference.

E;D WILL get better, eventually. Personally, I feel like the game was rushed out the door before it was fully ready to be in the hands of players, at the same time, I don't think they had any choice, as many players were anxious for the game and if they waited for too long than Star Citizen might have stolen their thunder. Of course Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous are two very different games, yes they both have spaceships and yes they both take place in space but that's where the similarities end. E;D is more of a meta-game everyone-affects-the-galaxy type of game. Star Citizen is...well it's a bit of everything. And, having backed both games and played countless hours in both of them, I can say that they do feel different and unique.

Anyways, im rambling on xD, I just wanted too throw in my two cents since I feel like people are being way too hard on E;D, I mean fuck Frontier only had 2 million dollars and they made this . Its quite the accomplishment and I fully anticipate that 2015 will be the year this game really shines.

Thanks Tom! I'm a fan, and I just wish you had two extra arms and a spare keyboard. I'm squarely 90s so I don't click on podcast links because they're noisy and they may take too long to download (ha!). So I like these articles, even though these lists are too short word wise.

a lot of these lists i usually just ignore but this is actually pretty spot on..Im going to have to agree with DragonAge Inquisition as i felt it was extremely overrated as well as Destiny....i am by no means bashing either game, but the overall excellent reviews these got is just not worthy...id take Dragons Dogma over DAI anyday and the list would continue on too far for what id prefer over Destiny...they both are decent games, but the I believe they have been more subject to social hype than actual funfactor/originality..

No doubt. I actually liked Far cry 4 though as it brought a little bit of originality to the mix. DragonsDogma is one of the best rpg's ever made so I'm in complete agreement with that. Well played sir, well played indeed.

I think Wolfenstein is more interesting on a plot/characterization/worldbuilding level. There's been some serious thought and effort put into most every angle of their Nazi-dominated 1960s, and I think the romance between BJ and Anya is one of the more real-feeling romances I can recall in a videogame, certainly in that particular genre. Riddick's a fun character and the various prisons are nicely envisioned, but it seems a little more standard fare, you know? Still one of the best licensed games ever, though. And certainly a more varied mix of gameplay.

It looks like a man who loves his headcrab, but what's this really mean: E;D

Hey, at least I didn't say it was "fun"! :)

Oops.

Yep, as Barac notes, I have played Endless Legend and I love it. You're right that it has its own problems, but the faction design is really a fine fine bit of work that sustains the game through a lot of its issues.

I'll eat my hat if Star Citizen doesn't turn out terrible. Seriously, the impression I get from that game's development is that they have no idea what they're doing. Except raking in money, of course.

And, yes, I agree that Elite is a game to watch through it's ongoing development. I like a lot about it and it's a really intriguing and in ways *brave* design. It's certainly going to be on my hard drive for quite a while. Partly because I dragged by joystick out of the garage so I might as well leave it hooked up...

"E;D WILL get better, eventually."

How do you know? You HOPE it will get better eventually, there's no guarantee that will be the case. You can't even take as gospel anything Frontier have said to date, since they've demonstrated a sociopathic ability to change and remove features and rationalise it as being for the "greater good".

You literally have no idea when they will say "that's it, it's done", and move on to the next project. You might get ten years of dynamic marketplaces and galaxy-spanning events. You might get two years or a year. Who knows?

So basically, people should buy the game, or not, for what it is now and not the promise of what it might be. Well, they can do what they want but they shouldn't be encouraging other people to gamble.

Banished was the only one that caught me out. It's okay but I got bored quite quickly. I think you're supposed to entertain yourself by ramping up the difficulty yourself until you regress your gameplay to some algorithmic nirvana every game, along with every other player playing it exactly the same way for the same results every time.

Gnomoria has the same problem but with even fewer random events.

Totally agree about Dragon Age. It's not a bad game per se, but the reviews led me to expect something more. I'm also pleased you mentioned This War of Mine, some of the comments I read about that game really jarred with me.

I appreciate this website, and I appreciate your willingness to put up with the unpleasantness coming from people who disagree with you.

I actually played a few of these, and have the occasional opinion on those I didn't.

Banner saga- inverse opinion; the combat was okay, but the story was like playing minesweeper without the number hints, totally random. Quite disappointed, if it weren't for the art, I think this game would be reviled.

Banished- played a couple games, got bored. I think this game had perfect timing with respect to its release, and people were starved and perhaps responding to simcity (can't be bothered to check release dates)

Civ BE- still kicking myself that I gave in to temptation. But the reviews were predictable if you consider what happened with the reality of Civ V release vs. reviews.

My PC isn't good enough any more to play most of the rest. But E:D just seemed silly- that space trucker gameplay might have been okay way back when, but (Euro Truck success notwithstanding) I think you need to offer more now.

Anyway best wishes, don't know how you put up with the meanness.

Destiny falls more into the "overhyped" category than the "overrated." Its reception was lukewarm at best.

This was just the point I was going to make. On the "rated" spectrum (under, over, properly) if anything it's underrated. It's a better game than the critical response would indicate.

" Seriously, the impression I get from that game's development is that they have no idea what they're doing"
It's this type of in-depth analysis that keeps me coming back to this site....
Think you can do better, Tom.

The most frustrating thing about Banished, to me, is that I quite liked the survival-city-builder framework it layed down. I really wish someone would keep making that game, what's there really seems like the demo to something I'd quite enjoy in full release.