The most overrated games of 2017

For one you kept insisting Rost was a cynic, and saying stuff like

Despite us pointing out that Rost respected the tribe, took Aloy in at behest of the tribe leader, taught Aloy the ways of the tribe, and wanted her to complete the proving so she would be accepted into the tribe.

Well that’s fair, you’ve got to look somewhere because it would be hard to find your own opinions overrrated!

Maybe More-Mordor did get good reviews, that metacritic score must have come from somewhere. I might be conflating reviews with the anger over loot-box stuff.

I’d rather see Hand of Fate 2 on here instead of Cuphead in the “way to hard to enjoy” catagory. Cuphead is supposed to be hard. That game was originally ONLY a series of boss fights, even. But I tried 4 or 5 times to beat the first boss encounter in the first scenario in HoF 2 and could never pull it off. Just a waste. I loved the first game, but just could not beat that bomb throwing, flame bellowing fucking jerk.

I agree about Cuphead. For me it fails the “bullshit!” test, in that I’m shouting that too often at the screen. There are elements of it that move it out of “tough but fair” territory.

Er what? I beat that guy first time. Cuphead is wayyy harder.

So, why isn’t Gloomhaven on this list? ;)

-Tom Mc

I haven’t played most of these but I agree on Cuphead and Mario. I usually love hard platformers (I love Super Meat Boy and VVVVVV) but Cuphead is hard in an unsatisfying and uninteresting way. I get that it’s designed as a hard game, but a good hard game should be satisfying when you overcome challenges rather than just feeling like you’ve successfully memorized the boss moves.

I loved the new Mario, but also think it was overrated. It wasn’t as fun as the last two generations of Mario games and it didn’t deliver enough on the weirdness it promised. The dinosaur and New Donk City were great and weird surprises, but everything else felt pretty uninteresting (many locations were actively boring to look at like the food-themed level). However, I think it’s the most fun exploration Mario yet.

I am super bad at the “batman arkam asylum” style of combat, any time a prompt shows up over someone’s head and I have to hit a button to avoid getting hit I always think I can power through with attacks and of course, it never works. Just the way I’m wired. I hate QTE as well, which may be related. I’m just no good at that shit, and they leaned really hard into that with HOF2, much to my chagrin.

Since Tom has a press account where the games show up for free, I don’t think that would work. :)

I never understood the appeal of The Replacements, either. I tried to like them about a million times, but never could manage it.

I KNOW, RIGHT? Tom, I thought these lists were platform-agnostic?

Absolutely. A game that includes narrative makes that narrative part of the game experience and it’s just as fair a thing to ding it for as anything else. I disagree with Tom’s assessment of Horizon’s story but it in particular is a game with a LOT of story cutscenes and dialogue all over and so if you aren’t enjoying it that’s going to get in the way of enjoying the gameplay.

Of course, one can avoid being dinged on story by not including it, but I for one am here more for story than anything else so I probably wouldn’t even play a game that made that choice.

You know you can reply to more than one person in a single post, yeah? Just highlight any post text and press the quote button that pops up. Repeat as needed. Everyone you quoted will be notified that you replied to them.

WHY CAN’T THIS WHITESPACE???

I have the right to expect a good story in any game that has unskippable cutscenes.

My pick for biggest overrated game of 2017 was Tacoma from Fullbright. Everyone was falling over themselves to praise this game, which I found horribly boring. It sucked, because I was looking forward to it after enjoying Gone Home quite a bit.

Really? I mean I get not liking a game but where was this game even talked about, let alone overrated?

I’m surprised PUBG didn’t make it into this list. It’s out of early access status and still the most played game on steam but it’s still riddled with bugs as in EA stage, ugly graphics, and plenty of hackers to ruin the game.

Here? No. Around Twitter and other sites? Man, they loved it.

Those are all features of PUBG that contribute to its success. People love YouTube/streamer jank.

From the disappointed thread it should be clear I think Zelda Breath of the Wild is easily the most overrated game this year.