The most overrated games of 2017

Oh God, the actual top 10 is going to have Agents of Mayhem and Pinball FX3 over these games isn’t it?

It wouldn’t be unprecedented for Tom to put a game in both overrated, and top 10, for the year.

Maybe Tom could overrate a game of his own, just for bonus meta.

Probably true.

I really wish you guys hadn’t talked Tom out of reviewing Zelda.

I’m still curious to play it and I’d be happy to review it. I just opted out of using my Amazon.com gift card on an impulse buy. There will be plenty of impulse buys in my future!

-Tom

That’s great to hear. Regardless of where you land on it, I really would love to hear your thoughts on the game. I’m not really much of a Zelda fan at all, with the only two games in the 30-year old series I’ve completed being A Link Between Worlds and Wind Waker, but I’m head over heels in love with Breath of the Wild, so don’t let the franchise put you off.

I think if the way Far Cry 2’s systems interacted to create dynamic firefights and memorable non-scripted situations resonated with you, there’s a good chance you’ll find something in this game appealing. Outside of the fire propagation, which directly recalls Far Cry 2, there’s enough interesting gameplay mechanics in Breath of the Wild that make it feel distinct from other systems-heavy games. It’s the coolest anecdote generator I’ve ever played.

Total War Warhammer II
Shadow of war
Battlefront 2
Animal crossing pocket
Pyre
Agents of Mayhem
Battle Chasers
Breath of the Wild
Nier Automata
Wildlands

Ok quit beating around the Billy Bush, WEAR IS TEH BEST GAEM ARTICAL

Games can tell good stories, but it usually only works when the writers accept their limitations and write simply aiming for a strong narrative.

Writing a good potboiler takes some craft and is not easy. Literary elements or higher themes are nice, but usually it’s just beyond their ability to do that really well.

A lot of Hollywood is probably a poor role model for what they are trying to do.

So basically anything David Cage.

I was just answering his question about which game that was. It wasn’t overrated to me.

Tom forgot to post the Best Games of 2017 yesterday. :(

I got distracted with my #1 pick. I went back to play it “real quick” to finalize the list. I mean, err, I’m escalating the dramatic tension. But since it’s a day late, I’m changing my avatar a day early to even everything out.

-Tom

Noooooo that avatar!

At least she is the best part of AoM. :p

We all know it’s age of mayhem Tom ;)

Your #1 pick didn’t leak from the crowd that listened to you revealing it on the stream, I am quite surprised!

Iam still interested in adding Horizon to my PS4 collection, keep in mind the list is pseudo-satire.

Can you elaborate on this? So what convinced you NOT to treat boardgames like videogames. Not that I disagree.