The most palindrome thing you'll see all week: Tenet

They were stationed in the buildings firing off their bombs and rocket launchers.

You’ll notice that Jonathan Nolan has been responsible for everything of substance. He’s even got Westworld’s first season to back that up, including the way it makes you want to watch it again as soon as it’s over. Christopher Nolan is at his worst without his brother.

So if you watch this clip right here:

https://youtu.be/M60acLR6UWs?t=114

The good guys have the olive/brown suits with colored armbands while the presumed-Russians are kind of like more like khaki (with AKs).

— Alan

God I hated this movie so much. Just watched it. 200 million dollars to confuse AND bore me. Mostly because I could hear about 1 word out of 100 over the PARPPPPPING music and loud background effects.

One crucial bit of plot gets yelled between characters during a fucking catamaran race. Another while they wear oxygen masks. Both over loud overindulgent zimmerfests of parping.

It watches like some edgy 15 year old cinematography student watched inception and was then given 200 million dollars no questions asked, and no editing.
Bah.

The movie was good. I watched it twice. Subtitles are your friend. We use them all the time. (We’re old.)

Even with subtitles the plot is nonsensical and the movie breaks its own conceits all the time.

Seemed to make sense to me… what’s the issue?

Obviously ymmv to me everybody in it made little sense other than being cool and complicated for the shake of it.

With rules made in on the fly scene by scene (I expect at least consistency in formal experiments).

It’s like The Prestige without the first half that’s actually good.

Objection 1:
They establish early on that time travel works through a sort of negotiated determinism, where for-knowledge and past-knowledge interact and negotiate until they arrive at a version of events that cannot be changed. What happened happened.

Right.

So the big plot they are worried about is the Algorithm going off in the future, destroying their timeline. But their timeline hasn’t been destroyed. So they know that it will not be destroyed, and furthermore they should know that nothing they do can change that outcome. It has already been determined. So the entire movie is about an escapade to prevent an outcome that cannot happen. They could have spent the entire movie wind surfing and drinking margaritas and it would have had just as much of an effect on preventing the time bomb.

I guess I don’t see that as a problem? The characters talk directly about that exact point, and decide to proceed. The Algorithm doesn’t go off because they prevented it. And they took the actions to prevent it knowing (or at least believing–there’s a degree of uncertainty) already they would do so, and succeed.

I like Tenet, even though it is a glorious mess. But it’s an ambitious as hell glorious mess, and that may eve be part of the charm. Plus, ELIZABETH DEBICKI.

But, yeah, don’t think about the plot too much. My main issue is the Oppenheimer comparison. The one scientist discovered the temporal atomic bomb and sent the algorithm into the past so no one can use it.

It’s science. If one scientist can figure it out, odds are there are a dozen others almost there.

I envision a Knight Rider-style weekly TV series, where our heroes go from town to town, stopping evil scientists from discovering the Algorithm, while learning valuable lessons about life and love along the way.

I guess it might depend on just how bad the state of the world is at the point in time in which it’s developed?

It wouldn’t matter. If the technology exists and humanity persists in the future, someone down the road (years, decades, or centuries) will figure it out.

You gotta start looking at the world in a different way, dude.

But that’s the point, isn’t it? That they were working on developing the technology because humanity was on the edge of extinction. The road had hit a dead end and they were trying to pull a U-turn.

And the fact that no one else develops the technology would posit… humanity is extinct in the future.

I think you meant an A Team-style weekly series, where our heroes go from town to town stopping evil scientists from discovering the algorithm while learning valuable lessons about life and love along the way. Also avoiding getting on airplanes and drinking lots of milk.

I guess it’s fitting that I’ve lost track of whether we are agreeing or disagreeing.

Maybe we can split the difference, and say it will be like an Incredible Hulk-style weekly series, where our heroes go from town to town stopping evil scientists from discovering the algorithm, while learning valuable lessons about life and love along the way, and then turning green.

startreknod