The most surprising games of 2016

Well, sorry to keep this going, but I think you’re inferring something that isn’t true. They’re not “random catastrophic setbacks”, which is why I take issue with Nesrie’s comment. Yeah, sure, if we’re talking about boardgamers who think there’s no place for randomness in games – even Tigris and Euphrates has randomness with the tile draws – then, sure, they’re not going to want to play games with cards and dice. They’re not going to want to play most boardgames and they’re certainly not going to want to play most videogame boardgames. But those people pretty much sit quietly in corners playing chess, so I’m not sure why we’re even bringing them up.

Maybe Gremlins Inc isn’t for you, but not because it features “random catastrophic setbacks” (it doesn’t) or because “true boardgaming folks” would be scared off by the number of dice rolls (there really aren’t that many). If you want to find out whether it’s for you, you should probably go a little deeper than an offhand comment. I’ve got a review as well as a couple of gameplay videos linked above. There’s probably a good cross section of opinions no Steam. But it’s a really good game, especially if you’re a boardgamer.

-Tom

I take issue to this too Tom. Your opinion is your opinion, and mine is mine. Just because one is your opinion and one is mine does not make mine an “offhand comment”, and it’s pretty rude for you to refer to it that way. I believe there is sudden game changing events in this video game board game. I believe that because I’ve experienced them. And the chess comment really makes me think you’re not really aware of the group I am addressing.

@porousnapkin I would just watch a few playthrough videos. You can see the randomness easily as others play and maybe see a few of the really strong cards there too. You don’t have to decide whose opinion is superior, if there is even such a thing, when yo do that.

You sometimes (often?) don’t see those setbacks coming, but they are never random: the other players are ploying for them to happen. Which is why it is such a joyful and fun online experience, even against absolutely complete strangers (I don’t think I actually ever played anyone I know, in this game).
Well, in all honesty, I have been discarding Chaos Reborn in pretty much the same way you are thinking of discarding Gremlins Inc. We should both see the grass on the other side, most likely!

Eh it was ok. I’m a BIG FAN of mindless open world games. I even liked the worst Assassins Creed in Paris game, that Unity one. The biggest gripe I had with Homefront was that for an openworld it had really small levels and didn’t feel that ‘open’ and had none of the ‘special activities’ I expect. I like my open worlds with icons all over the world map.

I wanted to say something about Doom. Yeah, it was good but I’m starting to notice it’s appearing in way too many top lists of the year.

It isn’t that good. I think the expectations of the game were SO LOW (between the several years delay, their last game being Rage, Zenimax acquisition, and Carmack leaving the company) than it primed people in a way that now in contrast the game seemed godly. Another factor it’s how good feels to have a more traditional fps campaign: without stealth, without cutscenes, without 2 weapons loadout, without health regen, with keys to search, without brown-people with AKs as enemies; but that says more of how fucking bad are modern FPS than how good was Doom’s campaign (it abused too much of predictable horde rooms, last levels felt linear).

My Biggest surprises were Doom and The Last Guardian. And for pretty much the exact same reasons too. I expected games desparately stitched together from the working bits and pieces the teams managed to salvage over the course of each title’s ridiculously protracted development period. Instead I got two fully-fledged, well-paced and fairly lengthy games which delivered on their respective promises with the kind of laser focus you rarely get in the realm of big budget, one-size-fits-all games development. One became one hell of a kick-ass shooter that felt old-school in all the right ways while skipping on the anachronisms that often tarnish games like that. The other took me on the most emotional interactive journey in my 25 years as a gamer.

By this you mean tears of rage at having to move barrels around and get your dog to do what you want, right?

Sorry to disappoint you;) I actually had little to no issues getting the creature to do what I wanted. He was just reluctant enough to come across as a living thing with a mind of his own, but never so much as to become a hindrance. It almost seemed to me like he became more obedient as the game went on. Pretty impressive stuff really. Literally every time I was stuck, it was my own damn fault. As in I haven’t seen the one crack or open window needed to proceed. As for the barrels: there’s, like, one spot in the entire game where getting a barrel from point a to b is ever so slightly challenging and fiddly.

Oh, and it’s tailor-made to be played with a gamepad.

I did not know this about House of the Dying Sun. Now I’m really looking forward to playing it. :)

Corrections:
“is a [sic] another one”
“a game on [S]team”
“this is the one that ha[s] provided”

Sorry, I can’t find a better thread to ask this question in:

Online there is mention of Dragon Quest Builders being released for PS3 (as well as PS4 and VITA). But then I can’t find it for sale. Does anyone know what the deal is? Is it being released later? Was it a Japan-only release?

And for those who have played it: Are you on PS4 or VITA? Any one recommended above the other? Does it function well on handheld?

Pretty sure it was Japan only. I don’t own a PS4 and don’t want to play the game on Vita, so I would have liked it to be available in the US and it isn’t.

Huh, I didn’t even realize there was a PS3 version! Looks like it was a Japan-only release as you suggest.

I played through on the PS4 version but it looks like the perfect type of game for a handheld. The PS4 version has a better draw distance and slightly better frame rate but content-wise they’re identical. Both versions have a demo available on PSN if you want to give them a spin.

Definitely recommend playing it though I’ve only played PS4. Need to jump back into this as my 5yo keeps asking me to play it for her.