The most surprising games of 2017

So if the most disappointing category is a list of games that should have been better, the most surprising category is the opposite. These are games that were better than they should have been. Just as disappointing is about falling short of expectations, these surprising games exceeded expectations and, in some cases, were among the best games of the year.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/12/28/surprising-games-2017/

This list is also refreshingly exciting. Excellent!

Buying Age of Rivals for Android because it’s on the list.

Also feel the same way about Through the Ages as described in the article.

This is a great list, and as someone who just bought Aven Colony the summary is spot on! :)

Age of Rivals is addicting but I can’t really tell if I am getting better.

Need to try Aven Colony. I bought it for my son for his birthday because his name is Aeven, he never got into it but maybe I will like it.

Apparently Cryptark isn’t on Xbox One or Switch… ugh.

Is there a Through the Ages group on here?! I want in!

EVERSPACE is supposed to be really good!

Everspace is excellent. Freelanceresque flight/combat with FTL-style sector jumping. It’s also gorgeous.

You, sir, are cheating with Steep, which was released in 2016. If you don’t believe me, check your list of most surprising games from 2016. I hope you have an 11th place pick ready to go. ;)

It felt cruel to bring this up. I guess Tom was really supprised by Steep!

Rough year, couldn’t game due to health from November. But Aven Colony has helped me get back in the last couple of days.

Each campaign mission might feel a little samey at first, except in the last half of the campaign when things go bad, they go really bad fast and toast the colony. So it rewards careful planned expansion.

So will Tom change his avatar to match this year’s new best game of the year?

I believe that is covered in the Qt3 ordinances, yes.

Now I feel like a jerk for being the one to bring it up, and only including one ASCII smiley in my post.

Your avatar throws me for a loop every time LOL.

Yeah, using the picture of someone else who posts here. Classy.

IS THE WORLD BIG ENOUGH TO SUPPORT TWO DEREK SMARTS?

NO, BECAUSE YOUR AVATAR IS FUCKING CONFUSING

Of the games on this list the only one I’ve played is Age of Rivals (and that thanks to your own review). It is stupidly addicting and really did surprise me with how satisfying the individual games feel, even in a loss.

Although now you’ve got me tempted for Everspace. I can only replay X-Wing Alliance and Wing Commander 4 so many times.