The most surprising games of 2017

You’ve played Freespace 2 and TIE Fighter, right?

I have! Tie Fighter is great, but I prefer the story of XWA, so it gets the nod most times. Freespace 2 I’ve played a bunch, but haven’t revisited it in a long time. Thanks for reminding me I should probably throw it back into the mix.

Oops.

Everyone please give a warm welcome to Faeria! Also, friend me ingame. I’m tomchick, of course.

-Tom

Nice! :D

That’s like saying you prefer The Real Housewives of Orange County to Heat.

Playing Through the Ages in an app instead of a functional, no-frills website on www.boardgaming-online.com still strikes me as inefficient.

Through the Ages sounds interesting, but I gather it is not available as a single player game for PC? Steam lists only Motorhead through the Ages. :)

@jpinard Have you played any of the Anno games? :)

Same here. The personal story with the news items you can read in your quarters and letters from various members of your family made a big difference for me. It’s the only Xwing/Tie Fighter game that didn’t feel cold and mechanical, but actually felt like it existed in a world with actual characters instead of just ships.

Now, the story itself wasn’t all that great, but just the fact that it had one gave it a huge step up over other Xwing games.

Not yet. The developer says they will be bringing it to Steam but it will take a while. They want to polish the mobile versions first.

Mr chick, you need to get yourself into one of the bonedry Russian flightsims (Il-2 BoX, DCS) with that vive of yours. You say you used to sim flight. Try it in VR. You may find something a bit more serious than a VR-only boondoggle might be quite satisfying…

I have! It feels great, but I’m not really into playing serious hardcore WWII flight sims these days, and IL-2 furthermore has a really steep barrier to entry in terms of getting the controls set up. It’s like the situation with Elite: Dangerous, which feels great in VR, but I’m not really interested in wrestling with the interface (specifically the text displays and the map, which are significant parts of the game that VR simply can’t handle).

But I didn’t know DCS had VR support! Whoa. That’s a surprise.

-Tom

I’d never heard of Age of Rivals until I read this thread. I bought it immediately and have been going though the tutorials and learning the game. I’m really impressed with it. I love games like this.

Do we have a game thread for this here? I searched but can’t find anything but Tom’s review.

I think you answered your own question. :)

How are the tutorials, Coldsteel? I recall that when the game came out, they were obtuse enough that I made a tutorial video using physical cards.

-Tom

FWIW, you can configure the map to work with a HOTAS. It’s ungainly, but it works. And the text displays are awesome in VR. Look left, NAV menu. Look right, systems menu.

I just went through all three of them a few hours ago. The current ones felt sufficient to me, at least for experienced gamers. No idea how the uninitiated might view them.

I thought they were pretty good, actually. After I finished those I read the rules section and then won my first game on normal difficulty so they seemed to work fine for me. I’m very impressed by the game’s presentation and polish. Instant love.

The only real point of confusion for me was when they talked about your cards being permanently ruined during play. I figured that can’t be right and that it must only apply for the duration of the game you’re playing. Otherwise all your cards would end up useless pretty quick.

Yes, this, exactly. Also, turrets, multi-location missions, pilot chatter and the gol-danged Millennium Falcon.

I have never gotten around to them even though I’ve had some. I guess I should :)