The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Starting this as I don’t feel like starting new threads every time something happens. And whenever I’m chasing, I’ll put up reports here (not often but whatever). Or if a hurricane comes around…

Anyway… for those of you living around the Minneapolis area… there’s a Moderate Risk for severe weather and pretty decent chance of tornadoes in this vicinity for Wednesday afternoon-evening. This includes northwestern Wisconsin.

GIVEN THE DEGREE OF
AVAILABLE INSTABILITY AND STRONG EFFECTIVE BULK SHEAR/LOW LEVEL
DIRECTIONAL SHEAR…THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR SUPERCELLS PRODUCING
SEVERAL TORNADOES /SOME STRONG TO SIGNIFICANT/…AND VERY LARGE HAIL
/EXCEEDING 2 INCHES/. ADDITIONAL STORMS WILL DEVELOP SEWD ALONG THE
WARM FRONT AND WITHIN THE WARM SECTOR ACROSS SERN MN/WRN WI AND NERN
IA WITH ALL SEVERE THREATS LIKELY AS THE UPPER TROUGH/JET MAX SPREAD
ACROSS THE UPPER MS VALLEY.

Just so y’all up in the North are aware.

— Alan

My partner’s dad’s in the Mpls area. I guess we’d better check with him in the morning and make sure he didn’t get blown away.

And yes, definitely keep us posted on your chasing activities.

There’s like 100 km/h winds blowing through frozen Melbourne, the Antarctic of the south, ATM.

No winds here, just way too much sun. I want winter back already.

Yeah it’s absurd. We had 35 degrees C the other day. I got back from Lofoten in northern Norway where it was 7-8 degrees C and perpetually overcast to the oven like heat of southern Sweden.

I’m rather disappointed with Hurricane Season so far…

I’m terrified that it will dump oil-laced water inland along the coast. So a dissapointing hurricane season is A-OK by me.

… and I don’t mean in a Schadenfreude way, I mean in the “Damn, that’s impressive, Mother Nature!” way.

Here in So Cal we have begun to enjoy the first real hot and sunny days of summer after a thoroughly miserable May and June and early July. Seriously, if you ever want to visit Southern California for the beaches and what not, just wait until August or September. Our late spring and early summers are terrible plus the water is still cold.

Anyhoo… back to more dramatic weather for the rest of the country I’m sure. See you in the EARFQUAKE! thread.

It’s way early, the fun doesn’t happen until the 2nd half.

Welcome to Texas, Partner! 35C is about normal high from middle May to about the end of September.

Actually, because of a convergence of unusual weather patterns that caused near torrential rains for weeks, we have had a very moderate late June and early July with temps around 22-23c, as well as double our normal year-to-date rainfall.

We went from 98 (36) to 65 (18) in a day. Yay Seattle.

Yeah we’ve had a very moderate last few weeks with a bunch of rain; we’re way above summer averages already for rainfall. But July temps are coming back this week and staying for awhile, don’t see it changing much unless another tropical system sets back in nearby.

And haven’t really heard anything going on in the tropics in awhile.

— Alan

The light rain outside my house doesn’t seem too ominous quite yet…

The zone of concern has shifted a bit and is centered on central Wisconsin primarily, though the area of moderate risk still covers the Minneapolis area. However these are only the morning storms blowing through the area (north of you, some that have pushed into Wisconsin this morning have already produced 80mph wind gusts); the nasty stuff is expected later today with afternoon heating.

— Alan

It’s been unbelievably hot here in south-western Germany for the past couple of weeks. We’ve been pushing 40º for the past few days and there’s no sign of it letting up despite a few fairly impressive thunderstorms. Add humidity raching to the low 70s at times and that’s a recipe for misery.

But now we’re back to blue and balmy again. Ahhhh, DAMN it’s nice outside today.

Rained like crazy last week. This week, just hot and too damn sunny.

Severe weather risk shifted to cover pretty much most of Wisconsin, with south-central being the greatest risk for tornadoes. About 4 have been reported so far, including Lakeville, just south of Minneapolis. The metro area should be okay aside from some possible strays and any other buildup that might take place, but nothing tornado-y.

— Alan

Heh, thanks, Alan. How weird is it that I’m getting my weather updates from QT3?