The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Here in NE PA , there is around 22" in the back yard, they are predicting an additional 6-12" by midnight.

They were WAY off in the estimates for this area. I spent 3 hours cleaning up the 22" around the house, by the time I got back to where I had started in the back yard, 4" had fallen.

Will you jerks stop talking about all this awesome snow you’re getting. Just rub it in*.

*Totally not jealous and bitter northerner.

And the view from inside.

Heh, nice.

Probably closing in on 2 feet here and it’s still coming down as strong as ever. We’ve already shoveled twice and I’m sure we’ll have to do it again in the morning. It’s unlikely the cars are getting out, will have to hope the trains (SEPTA) are running on a remotely reliable schedule come Monday. They’re shut down today, of course. Don’t know about tomorrow. I’m from Vermont, just moved here four years ago, and I don’t remember ever getting this much snow in one storm.

At first this was cool, but at this point it’s getting kind of bad. It’s looking like there is going to be some massive flooding up and down the east coast.

The Snow Stick says just over two feet, but as Penny Dreadful pointed out upthread, the snow is compacting quite a bit - the driveway got at least six inches of snow between when I cleared it this morning (with the working snow-blower) and just now (by elbow). The Dulles Airport official total was 23.7" four hours ago, and it’s been snowing heavily since then. I’d guess we’re at close to 27"+.

20160123: 1640

Dear Whiny New Englanders,

Thanks for the snow, you’re welcome to take it back.

-Sincerely, someone without a snow thrower

When I moved to Vermont from Atlanta, I was all gung-ho for snow, as, well, we didn’t get much in Ole Dixie. But after my first winter or so–20-30 below zero, and when it warmed up, snow out the wazoo–I was done with that. Now, I’m more than happy not to have storms, and I feel for my southern brethren who are shivering in the grasp of Old Man Winter.

Mostly.

Coastal erosion was a huge threat with this storm, and I imagine that’s happening here. Full moon not helping. Coastal Delmarva and NJ are being mistreated right now.

Great point about snow compacting. I shoveled the front walk around 2:30, and there’s 5" there, but by measurements, my snow stick area has gained but 2.5" in that time.

Edging up on 26" in Tysons now.

The panda in the DC zoo is digging it.

That brings back memories of the Helljob at the credit card processor. “There’s a blizzard here, but people are still setting up ebusinesses around the world, so make sure you’re here! Or it counts as a strike on your record, dickwad!”

They kept a huge stock of tatty old blankets and pillows, since they expected employees who came in on bad storm days wouldn’t be able to safely leave–not sure when, if ever, those things got washed.

One time, when it was particularly bad and everyone had informed them that, no, they were NOT coming in and risking certain death, the company rented some fleet of snow-appropriate vehicles and a block of rooms at the run-down hotel nearby and spent the better part of the morning picking up enough staff to operate on for a couple of days.

20 foot waves and Atlantic City flooded now.

Local airport reported in its snowfall total for today, at 31.7 inches. I live about 9 miles away and am pretty sure I am at or near that number.

At least we never lost power :)

Hope we get a final SNOW STICK update!

At least one. The Dulles Airport total for 8 PM this evening was 27.7", which more or less mirrors the Snow Stick. Looks like it’s starting to peter out, which is fine by me.

I’ll take another pic tomorrow morning and we’ll see how the GoPro time-lapse turned out.

20160123: 2120

Moon to NYC and New Jersey: Fuck you. High tide!

The footage of NYC is really cool, seeing the city with no cars driving around, and people just walking all over. It looks huge and spacious.

Speaking of NYC… Above ground subways shut down. No bus service. Travel is essentially restricted to plows, salt spreaders and emergency vehicles. Thousands of vacationers are in Manhattan with nothing to do. All stage and movie theaters are closed. The usual end of route stations like Jay Street/Borough Hall and Bergen street are getting snow through vents and street gratings. And so may be closed as well. If Jay Street has too much snow it could very well shut down underground lines due to snow causing power issues like shorts and frozen tracks.

It is indeed a snowpocalypse. But The Mayor says he’s on it. Along with Cuomo and Christie. They really don’t want another hurricane Sandy during an election year.

Edit and clarification: Jay Street is a major hub for several subways. The F, E, A, C, E trains and such. I am not living there now, but I’m pretty sure that I have those right. If the power is shut off at that station then you lose those underground lines. Maybe and usually to Church Ave on the F line. Then it goes outside to Ditmas Ave which is already closed.

For the A and C Hoyt/Schemerhorn is another issue.

Ultimately, if you are looking for a train, better to walk.

A weird thing that just occurred to me…

The CNN coverage has reporters in various Virginia cities, DC, philly, jersey, NYC

WTF is going on in Baltimore? There hasn’t been any coverage at all on CNN about it. I assume they got crushed, since they are between DC and Philly, which both got crushed. Did Baltimore just get totally destroyed and now we have no contact with them anymore?

Last I saw Baltimore was like 29F and looking at 2 feet. Could be different now.