The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Ha! its warmer in England than in New York. LOLs.

My wife had to badger me into buying a new winter coat a few years ago. My old down parka was perfectly good, thank you, if kinda getting ugly as hell and probably not smelling great after being worn by a smoker for ten years.

My new parka is fantastic, though. Don’t regret that $250 or whatever at all.

Note to the Northeast:

You seem to have misplaced some of your frost. Please come and collect it, post haste.

Signed, Central Florida

Isn’t this pretty much always true in the winter?

I swear I used to remember seeing frost all of the time in the winter here, but I think it’s just different now because I tend to wake up later than I used to and not some huge warming thing.

Supposed to hit around 55 this Friday in central Michigan. And at least high 40s the rest of the weekend. Mid-February. We haven’t had winter this year. Maybe 10 days of “never got above freezing” weather in the past 4 months.

Meanwhile, in San Diego… after about a week of above average temps for this time of year I’ve had it and am turning on the AC in the house. In February.

Welp…January Smashed Another Global Temperature Record

Ice ring around the moon tonight. Can’t get a pic with the phone. Pretty though.

Pretty good storm system is going to push through the southern Gulf states tomorrow, capable of some pretty severe weather including tornadic supercells long past evening.

— Alan

Continued threat of severe weather including tornados for the Carolinas and southern Virginia today.

— Alan

Yeah. . . most of the central NC school districts have closed early, and my employer (large local uni) is sending out blast alerts on tornado safety. Building Marshall stomped by a little while ago to remind me to be ready to run to the interior bathroom and tie myself to the plumbing with my shirt if need be (we’re on the top floor of a large building whose outer walls are mostly glass).

My wife’s work is closing early due to threats of blizzard like conditions in Chicagoland.

I dread my commute home. 45 minutes normally, and right in the teeth of rush hour, is going to be the suck.

Looks like 10-14 inches of snow where we are. It has been snowing, but not building up too much just yet. It is days like these that I am glad I get to work early and leave early.

I had a 3.5-hour commute home once. That suuuuuuucked.

Been there. Fortunately at the time I had a 4WD car, so I put that on and went through the neighborhoods. Not sure it was actually faster, but at least I kept moving. Nothing worse than being dead stopped for 20 minutes at a time.

Home for lunch now. Positive that the wimps at work will only wuss out and close the university the moment I pull back into the parking lot there… Ah well. To the vehicle I go…

They were really close to using the dreaded “particularly dangerous situation” on this one. I don’t think I’ve seen the words very dangerous situation before- that has to be something new.

Really heavy winds in Greensboro right now and these storms just getting started.

Well so much for making it through the night. Figures I would get called in to a work emergency at 12:50am right after most of the snow has fallen. I may as well work out my day now and go home really early and dig out at home :).

Fuck rain.

Since Oct 25, we have had 26 days where it didn’t rain. That means for every 5 days, we get 1 day where it didn’t rain.

In the past month, it’s been worse than that - in the last 26 days, we’ve had 4 days where it didn’t rain.

I’ve lived in Portland since 1989. I can’t recall a winter this fucking horrible.

We have moss growing on the south side of trees.

I looked at the weather forecast for the next 7 days, and they are predicting rain for every day.