The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

You should spare a thought for the uk! My garden is actually a small marsh now (squelch, squelch for many months now) so much so it’s been impossible to do any gardening of note (my veg patch is untouched since last year). But yeah fuck rain, it’s a good vital thing, but you can have too much of a good thing.

My thoughts to anyone living through this miserable trough!

I just looked at a news report that was published on February 19th and as of that date, Portland had 25 inches Dec - Feb 19th, and the normal rainfall for that period is 14 inches. Almost 2x normal!

People have very little sympathy - “aren’t you used to the rain in Portland?” and trying to tell them it’s so much different is a hard sell! A part of that is that in years past, I’ve always tried to spin it the other way - “I measure rain by how much it rains when I’m outside and it’s not that bad” and then we have this year! So bad, my vocabulary has degraded to Fuck Rain.

Been in a deluge since Friday in the bay and we need all of it. The precip pretty much tapered off in the latter half of February and high pressure produced some seriously warm weather and there were fears that the recovery was faltering, but now the continual train of storm systems are back and there is hope for the “Miracle March”. The Sierras generally got at least two feet of snow over the weekend (more today) and with 2-6 inches in the bay (along with some pretty crazy winds on Saturday), that’s pretty much what we need. Next storm system due in middle of this week.

— Alan

We actually GOT weather here in Los Angeles. Tons of rain and even thunder and lightning earlier today. It was AWESOME.

Though, of course, since Angelinos can barely drive well on dry days, it led to a crapload of accidents all over the place, sadly.

All rain-haters please direct your surplus to Clark County, Nevada. Hoover Dam now looks sadder than it does in Fallout:NV

This nation sorely needs a water distribution network. Some nice 15’ - 20’ pipes to divert water to areas that need it would be awesome.

Talking with my parents (who live about 30 miles inland from LA), they were mentioning that it’s only rained there 3 or 4 times since September. It’s been a weird el nino, since the forecasts last summer were that the Southland would be inundated this year (or at least that’s my recollection).

Here in the DC area, this winter has seemed… Pretty average.

This winter should be turned into a horror movie.

Horror movie, or horrible movie

(extremely lazy paint edit, so sue me)

ha-ha, I’ve already got webbed feet, so half-way there quack quack. I wouldn’t mind it as much if it was so warm I could walk around shirtless.

Gosh, considering the terrible state of falling water on the West Coast, really none of us should be complaining…it’s better than running out completely!

The dry season is drawing to a close here so time for rain. In my area there were all sorts of warnings all day yesterday, but it was just intermittent clouds. Until around six o’clock. Then the sky opened up. There was a tornado watch for Avalon Park, where I live. Then around eight there was a brilliant flash and instant explosion that sounded like it was just out in the middle of the street. The dog and the birds went crazy. It was so loud I was worried that it might kill one of the birds. They can easily die of shock. The wife and I were also rather shaken up. I looked out into the downpour but didn’t/couldn’t see any obvious damage. Welcome to Florida. Enjoy your stay.

You exaggerate. We have another two months before the rainy season kicks in to full swing. Yesterday was only isolated thunderstorms. You are in the wet season when you can look at a 10 day forecast and it is going to be 94 degrees with a 50% chance of thunderstorms every single day.

At least the snowbirds are flocking home now. I am tired of the traffic.

94 degrees and 100% humidity. :)

I still can’t forget the shellshocked look of the girl from out of town (Virginia, I think) in our office during her first summer thunderstorm. She was just mortified. She’d lived in Florida for at least 6-8 months but had moved in after the worst that Summer brings the year before. “Is everything OK? Is there a weather warning? Do we have to stay here until everything clears up? Will it clear up in time to go home tonight?”

“What?? This is just a normal Summer afternoon thing. You’ll be fine. Make sure you have surge protectors and battery backups at home.” says the IT guy. Her eyes only got wider. You could hear her thoughts. “How do you guys get used to this?” I tell her it puts me right to sleep when it happens at night. More shock.

The closest I’ve ever been to a strike was one that happened to a pine tree in my backyard when I was a kid. I was in the room looking through our sliding glass door when “Bang!” and there goes the tree about 30 or 40 feet away. We ended up having that tree taken down by a tree company some years later, it didn’t fall down that day, but it sure was dead. Big smoking black gash right down the side of it.

Also had a strike hit a light pole about 30 yards away while I was stopped at a traffic light. “Well, at least this flashing yellow means I get to go ahead and go now.”

I remember at summer camp as a kid, we were taking shelter in a hut and one of the cool-totally-not-scared-camp-leaders was teaching us to count the seconds between the lightning and the thunder… then lightning hit a tree about 50 yards away directly behind him and flash-POW! He screamed super high-pitched almost a squeal, and dove for the ground in front of us. Later we went over and a huge branch had fallen off, big enough to crush a whole troupe of sheltering kids. Of course my 10(?) year old memory may be exaggerating it a bit.

The night I mentioned I was doing the counting seconds thing. Probably why the instantaneous FLASHPOW scared me so much. Remember that scene from Poltergeist?

Hurricane forecast is out.

One will be named Richard. ::sigh:: How messed up would it be if the storm with my name wrecks my house? Or kills me? Hey Alanis, that’s ironic. Or is it?

To be fair storms named Richard are always a bit of a Dick.

To keep the plural consistent, it really should be:

To be fair, storms named Richard are always bits of dicks.

THERE I HELPED YOU’RE ALL WELCOME