The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Very latest from locak news: There seems to be a ‘wobble’ which may take it further NNW. And keep it further off shore.

Yeah no jinx but this is turning to be very mild here.

Anyone near Orlando? My son is there and I don’t like this. He says things are fine so far, but I’m feeling a little anxious.

Orlando here. Actually east of. I’m in Avalon Park. Where is your son? Downtown Orlando? East or west?

Here it’s raining but no wind yet. So far so good.

East and North East is the worst of the storm. We’re getting the weaker side right now. Of course things can change. Personally, we have power and water. Not so bad right now.

We ended up evacuating. My wife was worried and I secretly wanted to experience the madness in case I ever had to do it again.

Lessons:

Traffic congestion can change over the course of the two hours it takes you to get to the point that’s wide open when you leave. But as long as it’s moving you will get through eventually.

Pets/dogs are a major pain in the ass to take care of and find a place that will take them. Next time I might board them beforehand whether we stay or go, assuming the kennels will take them.

Hotels will sell out before you can call them back.

McDonalds takes forever.

Everything went well all things considered, but it’s clear our nation’s roads can’t handle major evacuations.

Orlando will be fine. Some hurricane force winds and plenty of shit strewn everywhere, but no major risk of life. Lots of people are sheltering at home further east on the coast where most of the wind will be so he’s well ahead of the game.

How far did you travel and how long did it take? When Ike hit the Houston area, everyone freaked and tried to leave the city. The roads were jammed. It took hours just to get out of Harris County alone. I had to stay for my job and I remember the drive into work. A dark, evil looking cloud on the horizon and stalled cars strewn along the sides of the road where they ran out of gas, a very apocalyptic feeling. They put in hurricane lanes after that but I don’t think making the shoulder driveable will make much of a difference for the next evacuation.

Hard to stay because our first location was against the traffic and pretty easy, but the dogs went nuts about the dog living there, so we had to go with the traffic to a hotel. We probably spent an hour going 5 miles at one point. But after that it was clear. No real explanation for the slowdown other than congestion.

This u-turn would be funny if it wasn’t so problematic for everyone in the affected zone.

Shouldn’t you be evacuated or something, Rich?

Also, the potential of it curling back around, merging with another hurricane, and then going through Florida again? That’s apocalyptic shit right there.

This makes it look even worse:

Never mind Cat 2 Hurricane Nicole sitting on Bermuda.

Western side of Orlando here, so far it’s just rain and some wind. I think I’m far enough inland that’s about all we’re going to get.

The storm surge is what they’re talking about being the real issue. 7-11ft of water is going to push on shore along the coast. Thats enough to pretty much put everything under a few feet of water about a mile inland.

Flood damage and Wind damage is going to be bad.

It sounds like it’s trending back east a bit. Combined with the lower winds on the west side of the storm, this is the first good feeling I’ve had in the last few days. Still bad, but not extreme.

“And your kids die too!”

Thank goodness it stayed offshore a bit. A few miles more and the winds would have been devastating.

Now we have to see about flooding.

@RichVR you still with us?

He is MIA almost 13 hours now. Reports on TV saying that there are a lot of people without power.

Cell phone towers usually work after the storm but maybe he used up his phone battery playing Candy Crush.

The storm is still in the area so QT3 might be a low priority.

My family and neighbor still have power. I’m surprised. It might go in and out.

Strangely enough I seem to have awakened alive. According to the wife, storm did a bit of a jog to the right. Still have power (knocks head) so good to go. How’s everyone else doing?

Storm didn’t come close enough to south Florida to do any real damage. We just got some strong wind and rain.