The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Reports of $9.99 per gallon gas, $200 a night “budget” motel rooms and $30 cases of bottled water coming out of Florida. Pam Bondi and the Florida AG office are on the case.

Can we just shoot a few of these business owners as an object lesson to the rest? I mean, looters are shot during a state of emergency right, and this is just reverse looting…

Stay safe all you QT3’ers and family living on the south Atlantic coast!

Wait wait wait…isn’t that just Trump-style capitalism at work?!

And they shouldn’t have to pay taxes on any of it either.

Getting pretty heavy rains here in Raleigh. This is the front page image from the News and Observer, our local paper. I guess the guy to McCrory’s right is signing? He looks like he’s having a seizure.

Yeah, power’s been flickering all morning long, but currently holding. Concerned for friends w/ families along the coast.

Hurricanes are dumb.

Watching State play Notre Dame in this is hilarious

Things aren’t that much better in GSO.

Score one point for the hurricane vs my yard. We just lost a giant oak tree in the back yard. It took out several other trees when it fell.

Hope you and yours are alright out there, Clay. We lost power entirely awhile back, but the big trees looming ominously over us are holding steady for now.

We just lost power 10 min ago. The swaying trees are scary.

Saw a weather person talking about the loop. She said that it would pretty much peter out because, luckily the eye made landfall in South Carolina. That weakened it.

Lady, I’ll bet that there are a shitload of people who might disagree with you, luckwise.

Pretty sure I saw @ArmandoPenblade out in the storm:

Dammit, they’re onto me!

We finally got power back at 11pm. Now to deal with the trees down in the backyard. 😖

We are on the coast of Virginia (Norfolk) and it started raining hard around 2 or 3 yesterday. Lost power at 7pm. A lot of rain and wind. We had a lot of delimbed pine trees in the backyard with the branches actually piercing the yard sticking straight out of the ground. It’s funny, a lot of the pines are completely naked on the left side, the direction the wind was blowing from. One snapped about a third from the top and fell into a neighboring tree and its just kind of dangling there.

We walked around the neighborhood and saw one huge tree that, luckily, fell between two houses. It looks like the ground got so saturated that it just pulled up the dirt and cement sidewalk with it. However, it took out a power line and a transformer with it. The Dominion Power people came and said that it is only a 2/10 compared to what they have seen so far. Doesn’t look like we are getting power back any time soon. We also smelled natural gas in the air, but nobody in the neighborhood can find the source right now. Gas people came and went already.

I am really amazed by how nasty the storm wound up being this far from the coast, While my partner and I fared very well, all things considered (no internet at the apartment as of yet, and I tossed some fridge leftovers that probably got a little funky), almost every one of my coworkers is looking at significant damage or disruption to their lifestyles. In a team of seven, two houses are completely totalled; others have inlaws living with due to flooding, or are stuck out due to numerous school and daycare closures. One poor bastard wound up having to have an emergency appendectomy in the middle of all the chaos!

I kinda feel like the local media oversold the infamous “turn away” that Matthew was eventually projected to pull, downgrading forecasts through the day on Friday. I was genuinely surprised by how nasty it got.

That’s funny, since the know-it-alls in south and central Florida are scoffing at the media for overhyping the doom and gloom here. Notwithstanding that arrogance after a lucky break, I can’t say I’ve ever heard the media underselling a potential disaster.

Also, heavy flooding remains a mystifying and scary natural disaster to me.

Seeing many photos like this from small towns in NC/SC downstream and river flooding still peaking

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14517389_10209167133126794_1001297411308937213_n.jpg?oh=26f7592f4d366755dde533e192e5fbb2&oe=586A8464

Seattle-area QT3ers, there are 2 major storms headed our way. Huge amount of wind and rain. These have potentials to be biggest storms in 50 years. Get ready.

Oh dear! Good luck everyone up there!

My wife is there on business and supposed to return on Friday night. 😒

Wow! At least water goes away by itself.