The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

New cloud types for us weather geeks:

Major severe weather potential for the deep south, mostly Georgia and the Atlanta region today, which is under Moderate Risk and could be upgraded to High Risk before long, which means powerful supercells and the potential for strong, long-tracking tornados.

— Alan

And High Risk just popped for southeast Georgia. Could be a nasty situation developing, and the potential for multiple rounds of severe weather throughout the day and even night for the southeast. Interesting how current modeling apparently is showing a “dry bias” and forecasters were deciding on relying on current observations and previous similar model runs to determine more of a potential severity of the situation then what the current model runs called for.

— Alan

My girlfriend is getting out of work early over this. Not sure if that’s typical North Carolinian storm overreaction or if it’s actually gonna get bad here…

We had about 30 seconds of hail late last night before it turned into VERY heavy rain, but it lasted … 30 minutes? After that it was normal. I mean, I’ve seen teachers and kids be let out of school over heavy storms like this that have the possibility of a tornado. It’s not uncommon.

What did you guys get in Raleigh?

Theoretically, a thunderstorm, but my dishwasher drowned out the worst of it…

I feel your pain. Mine is pushing … 14 years-old?

No idea how old ours is, but it’s not doing a great job of cleaning stuff anymore. . . but we’re renting, and have replaced a couple of appliances in our time there, so I’m trying to just ignore it.

We had some pretty crazy weather in my hometown this past weekend.

Rainfall for Thu-Fri:

Here is some drone footage in my town. This is only about 2 miles from my house. Fortunately, our house is doing okay so far.

http://www.ourmidland.com/photos/slideshow/Drone-photography-shows-flooded-Tittabawassee-147033/photo-13150811.php

More flooding at the mall.

http://www.ourmidland.com/photos/slideshow/Drone-shows-flooding-near-Midland-Mall-146956/photo-13139608.php

Even US-10 was closed for over 24 hours, I believe.

'Effin weather!

Meanwhile, a coworker just got back from Lake Tahoe for vacation. Apparently there are ski slopes still open at Squaw Valley.

It’s nearly July.

Yes indeed. Some of the slopes will be open in July; last time this happened was after a particularly decent snow season in 2011. That being said, the snow has been a lot heavier and there have been late season snows (even as late as a few weeks ago) help it along–and then a lot rapidly melted in the heat wave. Tahoe should be amazing all summer–the lake itself is just a few feet away from being completely full. They’ve been outflowing so much water out to the Truckee that rafting on it will not be possible til late July/early August. Only one of the non-Tahoe mountain passes has opened up so far (Sonora), and Tioga through Yosemite is still weeks away from opening. Similarly the road through Lassen is also closed down for a few more weeks at least.

It’s been quite a winter season to be sure.

— Alan

I should have gone this year. :( There probably won’t be another huge year like this for quite some time.

I’m semi-annoyed that I was there a week before things really got started in terms of snowfall.

Now the battle here is torrential rain fighting wildfires. I hope the rain wins. OTOH here in Avalon Park we got 3 inches of rain in 3 hours. To all of you Floridians here, I hope the rain killed the fires near your homes. Be safe.

A bit late on updating everyone, I just heard about this news today. Its from last month:

As long as they don’t blow up the dam by accident. :)

The highest recorded temperature in my town is 104F (with an average of 81F this time of year). The official forecast for the day after tomorrow predicts it will be 109F.

Fuck this shit. Our AC broke 7 days ago, and the new parts don’t get here till tomorrow. It’s a race against the clock to fix this crap.

Do you have local cooling centers? Maybe you could spend time at a library or wandering around in a mall?

Yea, staying cool won’t be impossible, it just that working a graveyard shift means sleeping daytime hours. It makes stuff like this more oppressive. It just a major inconvenience.

Been there and have the soaked T-Shirts to prove it. I hope you guys get relief soon.

Pick up a window or portable AC if you can, or hell, borrow one. At least you can cool down a room of the house to a point you aren’t getting heat exhaustion.