The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

After feeling like early March throughout January, I guess it’s fitting that late Feb is feeling like early January in northern Utah. It was 12 degrees when I left for work this morning. Meanwhile during the coldest part of the year we nearly hit 60 multiple times.

This winter is bonkers.

Just wait for the Summer. I am sure the term, “Hot as balls” will be an understatement.

Flooding has been all the news around here for the last week or so. I used to work in the building where they took this picture.

Of course, that’s nothing compare to the same place 5 years ago:

OMG where’s that?

Wow, their windows are watertight! That’s pretty surprising.

We hit 91 in Southwest Florida the other day which is 12-13 degrees above average. It has been consistently running 7-10 degrees above average for most of the last month and we have topped records on quite a few days.

Note that weather in FL RARELY deviates more than 3-4 degrees from the average. Sub-tropical weather does not fluctuate much.

It’s right here in downtown Grand Rapids. The consulting firm I worked for back around 2000 had offices on the top couple of floors. The pics you see above are from the bottom floor (obvious, I suppose) which housed several other businesses. (Including my dentist - never had an appt cancelled due to flooding!) We used to walk down to the open area outside the offices in the springtime to see how high the water had risen - only on the really high years would it get to the window, but clearly they knew it would happen eventually and had designed appropriately.

Yup, in California they build for earthquakes. Here, in the Great Lakes watershed, we build for flooding. Fortunately for me I live half a mile from a giant reservoir my town installed to control flooding. But the some of the rivers in the area, like the Kankakee river, are approaching historical record flood stages.

I love how that picture has a beaver just chilling out there.

In a once a decade or so event, it’s snowing buckets in London today, having dumped a couple of inches overnight and then cleared up in the morning.

Naturally, this causes travel chaos. All my trains were cancelled this morning, though luckily the underground was running relatively normally.

Is your picture supposed to reflect the end result of it “snowing buckets”? From my (Montreal-centric) viewpoint, it looks as if you had a nice, light dusting. I don’t ask this to appear to have greater winter-toughness, I’m really just wondering if that was the end result, or if that was a picture taken partway through the snowfall.

That’s the end result. And that’s a pretty heavy snowfall for London. It snowed more outside of the capital, but Montreal / Québec we ain’t. :)

The view outside my window this morning:

Gotcha. Well, enjoy it. I can’t tell if it’s powder or wet snow from the picture, but if it is wet, then get to snowball-fighting!

One of my favourite recent videos is from Quebecois making fun of the French news after Paris for some snow recently.

It will only make sense if you are francophone, but I love the part where they are asking: what are they snowploughing? Dust? :)

London reacts about the same way to snow. :)

My Canadian wife is also very amused by UK snow days.

Thanks for sharing. That was hilarious! You’re right, the snowplowing the fine coating of powder section is the funniest, but I also laughed when I spotted the slicks on that BMW at the same time the commenter did. And at the part where he basically said, “You can still still the asphalt!” while people were slowing to 20 km/h. And when he said, “It’s snow! It’s not even freezing rain!” I understand that people who aren’t used to driving in/on snow (e.g., slick tire guy) are going to react poorly to the new condition, it is still pretty funny to those of us who deal with this to a much greater extent for five months out of every year.

But hey, a rare snowfall is something to be celebrated. There’s nothing better in the winter than going out to play in the snow for a bit, heading in with rosy, stinging cheeks, and having some hot chocolate.

It was the end result of the overnight snowfall, but before the late morning snowfall I was describing as buckets, which was pretty intense but only lasted an hour or so.

I realise it’s not much, but like I say, it only snows enough to settle at all every few years in London. I’ve moved home four times since the last time we had snow like this.

Totally agree with that.

One of my great disappointments is that, while I traveled to Canada (Toronto) regularly for months to visit my wife to be while she still lived there, I never really experienced a heavier snowfall there than what’s in these pictures. Cold yes. But it’s like the country was withholding snow just to spite me. :/

I was recently in Oregon when they got just under 2 inches of snow. They don’t know how to handle it at all. People were passing us at 60MPH in the left lane and they didn’t salt or plow the highway, so that’s incredibly dangerous. Multiple exits were blocked off because they were on a slight incline and cars managed to slide down. Jack-knived trucks everywhere, and you’d think truck drivers would know how to drive in snow.

And then some of the Portlandians just decided to give up, stop their cars, and wait out the snow. But the truly unbelievable thing is they didn’t pull onto the shoulder first. So you’d be driving down the highway carefully at 30MPH and run up on a parked car, hazard blinkers on, with a family of four inside sitting in the middle lane.

Apocalyptic.

Are you intentionally trying to get me to ignore my self imposed rule about not mocking people not used to snow driving poorly in it? Because this

Makes it really hard.

Here if we get a foot of snow overnight they still expect you to be at work the next day. Now, certainly, they will make exceptions. If you live an hour or more away, workplaces tend to be understanding. Still usually at least 80% of the people still show up to work.

We had a real scary combo back in January. It rained with temps in the mid 30’s overnight, then dropped below freezing and started snowing. I remember having my wife call the state police for a car in the ditch, still running, on the highway, and by the time she finished the call had passed two more. I want to say I saw a total of 10 cars off the road that drive.

I went to college in Rochester, and on one day where blizzard conditions were expected to prevail from about 8am to 5pm and yield two feet of new snow, we were advised that classes were still on and that we should take snow shovels to dig our way into and out of buildings.