The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

That was embarrassing. Part of the problem was that we just had the local news promising us a snowpocalypse a few days earlier and it didn’t happen, so most people didn’t believe the warnings.

It’s not us! It’s all these damn transplants from California! They’re responsible, just like they are for all of our problems.

At least the government learned from that and has started salting the highways again.

You folks talking about snow are making me nostaligic for it.*

*This is a lie.

I always think, if it ever snowed here in Los Angeles, there’d be so many deaths…

I went down to the pool today and was told that it wasn’t open yet. Something about it being winter. Fucking HOA.

Almost 90 here today. Too hot for February.

London still has its dusting of snow and barely subzero temperatures (not counting a fierce windchill), but Scotland is now cut off from the rest of the UK by train and apparently we’re running out of natural gas for heating.

Heh

Must be that dry English humor I keep hearing about.

Hah, I feel for that writer. Nicely done :)

Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow!

Crazy tight isobars here near DC. Federal government and a bunch of schools are closed for high winds (been here half a century and this does not often happen). Hatches are all battened down and I’m ready to ride the storm out!

Love me some Nor’easter! Signals that spring is on the way!

Yeah, screw you.

30 hours without electricity, finally back on. Dominion Energy making progress, but still nearly 300,000 in the Commonwealth without power.

With hurricane Irma I lost power for 4 days, but I can’t imagine that when it’s freezing out.

Heh. It got a wee bit chilly last night. :)

With that said, the derecho of 2012 was WAY worse. That hit on June 30th, and knocked out power where I live for about 28 hours, but the overnight low was 83, and the afternoon high was about 95. With no AC, that was MISERABLE. Much rather be cold than stiflingly hot like that.

Hey, Trigger, where are you? I’m over in Williamstown. We never lost power, but we had a several-hour long blizzard. Started with huge wet flakes and then as the day got colder the flakes got smaller. Today all the snow is melting off the roofs in avalanches.

Northern Virginia. We got pasted with the high winds, but any precip was rain. Last night was eerie, literally no lights at all up and down the Gallows Road corridor from Merrifield through Old Courthouse by where I live. Normally at 10pm on a Friday, traffic central.

I remember 1998. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt in January! In the Mid-West!

Whole neighborhood (county, really) took quite a beating from this most recent storm. 30k homes out of power, traffic signals down for 36 hours with no police directing traffic in the wealthiest county in the country. Ridiculous.

Our little cabin is surrounded by downed trees, and the most snapped power lines I’ve seen since Sandy. Estimate is another 72 hours for power. At least we have the wood stove for heat and a propane range to cook on, but the well and furnace are out, so no showers, and manual fill toilet. Dog is getting grumpy and the wife already smartly jumped ship for relatives. Breaking out the Bourbon County Stout, at least it loves this 40 degree Smarch weather.

Hey man I grew up about a mile from there in Dunn Loring Woods, got my learners permit on that DMV on the corner of Gallows & Old Courthouse. My mom still lives there near the metro station. Their power was out for about 11 hours.

Know it well! And how cool is it that there’s an intersection of “Gallows Road” and “Old Courthouse Road”? Sounds like something from the creepy Faulkner ghost story he never wrote.

They got lucky too. :) I drove around a bit last night and decided with all the stoplights dead on Gallows and Maple/123 that that was not the smartest thing. So then I took a walk at 11pm down Gallows about a mile, and then back. Eerie. Even with power just being out that one night, you could sort of feel Mother Nature rubbing her hands together with glee, ready reclaim for her own all those signs of human habitation.

Clock on my wall when I woke up at 7:45 Friday morning said the power went out right after 4am. And then it came on at 10:00 am on Friday, and I celebrated like a loon. And then it went back out at 10:25 am. And stayed off until 10:15 Saturday morning. Yeesh. And yet, I have friends in upstate NY who are entering hour 27 right now without power, so yeah. Counting blessings.

That storm was something…