The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Heading into day 8. Reached “Acceptance” on the Hierarchy of Grief, lol. Had a similar experience to rrmorton in which I chased down the only lineman I’ve seen in my double layered pajamas. I directed him to the lines (which he couldn’t find, he was a Canadian worker unfamiliar with the area), offered him some bottled water, and pointedly DID NOT ask when the power would be back, simply thanked him for the hard work.

Got home from work two hours early yesterday, and used the extra daylight to split 3 nights worth of wood, use the battery powered vacuum to clean up, finally do the dishes with bottled water, and build one hell of a fire in the wood stove. Feeling accomplished, and beat, the night on the couch with my big dog Chutney wasn’t half bad.

Just gotta make through today at work, and then it’s the weekend, complete with lack of time pressure and work requirements. Bring it on.

I can’t imagine 8 days with no power. At least you get to go to work.

Ugh, that sucks. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

I was stubborn after Sandy and stayed home without power for weeks. Don’t be like me, go to a hotel or stay with family. It’s SO boring without power! I mean, you can’t masturbate more than eleven times in a 24 hour period. I tried. It starts to hurt.

It’s not cost effective for me to stay at a hotel, and the attendant costs of boarding my dog. My wife, has smartly taken your advice, and has gone to stay at inlaws, but somebodies gotta stay home and keep the pipes from bursting/let the dog poop in peace.

8 days sucks for sure but then try to imagine what Puerto Rico went through and is still dealing with. Crazy in this day and age.

I feel for the people of PR, my good work friends’ family is from Morovis (the hardest hit inland), and we’ve all banded together to ship marine batteries and solar panels, gas and food down there. Doing our best for people in a truly disastrous situation.

That said, 35 miles outside of Manhattan is not the middle of the Caribbean.

Yeah, I’m much more likely to go to the Caribbean than drive upstate!

Yeah for sure, just easy to forget how important power is until it’s gone! We’re lucky to avoid weather-related outages here in CA but it’s incredibly crappy when we lose it even for a few hours.

I hope they’re able to fix this for you guys soon!

Thanks, we appreciate all the good vibes being sent our way. Oh, and @stusser, we’ve rebranded as The Hudson Valley now, haha. Upstate starts past Albany now, apparently.

Hey man, I don’t even like to go to Queens. And I only go to Brooklyn for two things, one of which is Peter Luger’s.

Thick cut bacon. Now I’m hungry.

Got that sweet, sweet Tesla sweat running to the house again.Came on early Sunday morning. Gonna take a few days to normalize, but all of the important stuff in the house kicked right back on, furnace, well pump and such. Yay. (Comcast even gave me 10 bucks off for the interruption, tiny victories)

It got real here in the South today. Despite knowing of the third(?) noreaster heading up, no roads were prepped. They just cut us out of work because of snowmageddon, apparently. Hopefully this is short lived, because we are woefully unprepared.

Yeah, we already have a couple of feet of snow on the ground here in Western Mass, and it looks like up to another foot coming tonight/tomorrow.

The students built a big snow house nextdoor to my office. Their architects aren’t very creative though.

Yeah, my gf is being sent home early here in Raleigh. Game night is canceled tonight, too. Which is sad, cuz now who is gonna help me finish all this excess curry?

If I was worth a shit driving in the snow I would come help with the curry. I drove across the snow line on the way home, it was strange: wet and miserable below it, and really nasty above it. It’s a mix of sleet and snow and it’s wet and sticking very well.

About 4 years ago one February we got hit with a major snowstorm every Wednesday. Good ones, too. 12"+ storms.

This March is a repeat. 3rd Nor’Easter in 10 days. First one didn’t snow; just rain. Last one was heavy, wet snow that killed power to pretty much my entire town. Tomorrow is another 12-14", with another Nor-easter for maybe next Tuesday.

I don’t mind winter in New England, but once we hit March my tolerance for snow storms goes off a cliff.

Great to hear! Turn on all the things. :)