The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

I hate that we (just in the Midwest?) had a long winter, and now it’s 80-90 degrees already!!

We really enjoyed the two days of spring we had in New England.

Yeah, people in Europe have it so much better. As long as you like lots of drizzle.

We were away for the day when the windstorm swept through. I had just put the patio furniture out a a few days ago for a nice lunch in our back deck. I expected to see the chairs all over the yard but there was only one chair blown over when we cam home that night. Alas, I could also see some shingles sitting on our deck. A quick look this morning shows more shingles around the house, and I can see shingles missing from many of our neighbours.

Uh oh, potential “derecho” heading my (DC) way. The one in 2012 did tons of damage.

Edit: Shoot, was trying to get the embedded video to render correctly

It seemed like that hit us on Saturday, at least in South Central PA. The late evening storm was intense.

We’ve got August weather in Seattle right now. May is usually cool and rainy around here.

We had a pretty bad summer last year. Lots of heat and sun, which resulted in a ton of wildfires that blanketed the region in smoke for weeks.

This isn’t looking good.

Shit man, if this is August weather I’ll take it.

August weather here also (central NC), which is to say, record high temperatures for the last three days. Do not want.

Me either, but I will say this, the humidity is holding lower than our typical August. My new AC unit is going through an early season workout.

Hey, @ArmandoPenblade you okay? Been hearing about nasty flooding round your way.

The big flooding is well west of us in the state, but there is some storm damage here and rain will continue for a few days

Yeah. It’s been gross to drive around in, and it’s making life a living hell for my two friends who just adopted a senior dog with severe storm anxiety, but that’s about the worst of it. I’ve got some friends out west who are definitely more worried, but still okay

Just glad you and yours are okay.

Weird. My Max has a horrible fear of rain. Sure thunder bothers him. But just rain on the window freaks him out. Is there some kind of theory about that? Is it maybe them being rescues that had to live outside? I want to make him feel better.

Crazy that Alberto not only became tropical over land.but more organized.

First day of hot weather and clear skies in Orange County and of course a wildfire springs up almost in my backyard. Yeah, this summer is going to suck.

Luckily it (mostly) went racing up the other side of the canyon towards the ocean. Not so lucky for all those multi-million dollar homes it’s going to eradicate if they don’t stop it.

The sky is just crazy right now with helicopters dangling hoses close enough it looks like it’s going to hit the house and an endless progression of those airplanes dumping the red fire retardant.

What’s crazy is how fast it exploded. We walked into the grocery store and nothing was there. An hour later we came out and the sky was just huge plumes of smoke and dropping ash.

Ugh, it must smell terrible! Are you still going to be hanging out there or is it normal to evacuate?

It’s still zero contained as of this morning, but they pulled the mandatory evacuations last night for my side of the canyon. Laguna Beach still has it in effect. It certainly does stink, not going outside today unless I have to.

400 firefighters over 200 acres now.

It’s crazy to hear its so dry on that side of the country, the east coast has had crazy rainfall this spring. I mean in the last 2 weeks I think we had 3 days with no rain at all.

It’s actually been pretty wet and overcast, at least by socal standards. Certainly better than in the past few years. Still not enough apparently, the wildlife sanctuary went up like a tinderbox.

Fire is down to 150 acres and 10% containment, so they are making good progress. Certainly can’t complain about the speed with which the fire authority moved and the resources they brought to bear.