The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

I love thunderstorms. Wish we got more of them here in summer too.

15 days of rain. We hit 90 or so, the rain starts and knocks the temperature down to the 80s maybe 70s. Rinse, repeat. No end in sight. The St. Johns river and its tributaries starting to rise. Usually don’t worry about it until a hurricane hits.

Pretty good special effects, IMO.

Northern California is on fire.

That is all.

Yeah, when does it become a giant demon head?

Again.

Our state really loves to burn, sadly.

We left Seattle just in time, I think. We were out there for ten years, and it seemed like every year the summers got hotter and hotter, and we lived in a house that couldn’t handle a real window air conditioner (sliding windows) and our portable just didn’t cut it. Last fall when we were packing to leave there were several days where the air was super hazy due to wildfires in Canada and elsewhere.

Now we’re back in New England, where I was used to the summers being hot and humid, but I think all summer long it’s only been above 90 here like three times. Though to be fair, we live in southern coastal Maine, so our weather here tends to be cooler than inland, and I think we’ve managed to avoid the higher temps that Boston and the rest of inland New England has had to suffer. (But I still don’t think it’s been as bad as the PNW.)

That said, it’s been stupidly humid for the past week, which isn’t any fun either… but at least now we live somewhere with proper air conditioning.

We have a central air unit and it can’t quite keep up. Lots of old, single#pane windows.

The rain in Central Pennsylvania won’t quit. We’ve had a ton of flooding and they want more rain every day this week.

I wish I could take some of that rain off your hands. We haven’t had measurable precipitation since… mid-May, maybe? And that was hardly a major storm system.

Here in the Midwest we have finally rain and cool weather that may hold for two more days.

And Pennsylvania is flooding again. Even back behind my house the corner gas station had 6+ inches of water going over the lot.

This brook behind the house is usually less than 1 foot deep.

How uncommon is that level of flooding, if you have lived there for a while?

We’re still parched where I’m at. Every morning I leave the house and it smells like a campfire due to the fires in California and elsewhere. Can’t even really make out the mountains too well with all the smoke. Still no real precipitation since May (0.05 inches in June, 0.19 in July, and I haven’t seen a sprinkle yet this month)!

I am at the family homestead. Last time it flooded as bad as this I was a teenager. So like 20-25 years ago!

I asked my mother who has lived in this house 54 years, she said it was the worst she has ever seen.

We’re out of town this week, but I got an email from my daughter’s preschool that they were curtailing recess outside due to air quality from fires. Apparently most of Washington state has been orange or red for air quality today.

Yeah, it was some of the worst I’ve seen where I live, too. Lots of roads were closed a few days ago in the county. We’ve just had so much rain and it keeps dumping more.

Madison got pummeled with rain yesterday. Some areas west of the city got up to 13 inches of rain in a few hours.

Looking pretty bad for Hawaii right now. Category 5 heading pretty much straight toward it, though if we’re lucky it may steer just south. Stay safe.

Scenic Boise, with our beautiful foothills:

This is what it should look like, looking the same direction from almost the same place:

Smoke from those fires blanketed the Salt Lake pollution bowl valley as well, once the winds shifted after we finally got a storm.

Feels like nearly every day this summer has had the air filled with smoke since the entire West has been on fire (well, more than usual amounts of on fire).