The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Do you get inversions in the winter? In college, I had to break it to a freshman that what he thought was beautiful, serene fog was really a month’s worth of stale air filled with car emissions.

Yes, horrible inversions! I really do love living here except for that. It’s a giant bowl surrounded by the mountains, so all the cold air sinks into the valley, a high pressure system moves in on top of it trapping it all below along with all the crap from automobiles, industry, etc. It can get nasty if that weather pattern stalls (looking forward to more of that with global warming!).

Of course, it’s only a 30-45 minute drive or so up to Park City where you can get up above it all and enjoy the sunny and much warmer weather, but that’s not very helpful when you’re working Monday through Friday.

Looks like the south eastern coast of the US is gonna get walloped.

God hates gerrymandering

Tropical systems are set to hit Hawaii, SC/NC, and US Virgin islands this week. Oh yeah and a Typhoon is about to hit Guam.

Yikes

It’s not in any of the models, but I have this bad feeling that Isaac is going to keep going west and then do more damage in the Carribean after initial landfall.

My daughter’s school (University of North Carolina- Wilmington) just cancelled classes for the week. Right now they are recommending (but not demanding) that the students make themselves scarce.

Have you seen the forecast maps from NHC? I wouldn’t be anywhere near the coast here after about Tuesday.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/205027.shtml?tswind120#contents

Oh my god. I hope that downgrades. That looks… horrifying.

That’s just the wind probability map, no telling how high the max wind speeds will be then.

Yep and then factor in the 12 foot coastal surge they are predicting, and the 24+ inches of rain.

Anyone near the Carolina’s shore should be prepared to leave Tuesday night.

Hell, here in Raleigh, we’re expecting chaos. Several popular areas of town, including one of our largest malls and its associated residential sprawl, are very prone to flooding in fairly normal conditions. There’s gonna be a lot of folks underwater if we’re getting 10+ inches here in the middle of the state. Not even to mention power outages and stuff.

The coast though? Jeeze… I’m genuinely terrified for those communities. Including a lot of local friends’ families…

Even though it probably won’t hit here there are already warnings about massive rainfall.

The world equestrian games kicked off today in North Carolina. A lot of expensive horses from all over the world are there.

More models showing the storm hitting land on Thursday then just sitting in the middle of NC even on Saturday. Crazy.

Me too. That looks terrible.

They are saying it has increased to Cat 4 now.

Cue REM Its The End of the World As We Know It

On a more serious note, I hope you have a safe place to go, Armando.

Is it bad if I admit I’m looking forward to Armando’s “here’s what I cooked with all the perishables in the house once the power went out” pictures?