The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

And if you have any Grower’s Market, those are super cheap to buy as little plants. The big thing here is tomatoes, like a gazillion types of tomatoes but the little herb plants are easy to get for a couple of bucks, usually.

Hey that reminds me, Didn’t @ArmandoPenblade or someone participate in some sort of seed donation program for PR. I wonder if there are some that will happen with Florence. That would be worthwhile again.

I have started a rosemary sprig in a ~10" pot a couple of springs in a row. It gets up to about a healthy 1.5’ by the late fall, but never survives the winter on a balcony, even sheltered and watered. Not sure why, if it’s roots still got too cold, or maybe the low humidity dried it out too fast? Let me know if you have luck with it overwintering.

Yes, my best friend’s parents coordinated a massive seed donation and basic yard farming techniques seminar series in Puerto Rico. It’s been a great success over the last year.

Mind, PR is very much a “throw seeds on dirt, receive infinite crops” kind of climate, but similar stuff could definitely be done here…

Will do. The real issue is a freeze, not a frost, I should be okay but we shall see. They are finicky about the exact water and humidity they like, though.

I don’t know much about flood insurance since i am not an in area of flooding, but I hear the fire ones often don’t cover landscape.

A short update on my duaghter’s Wilmington situation:

UNC-Wilmington says that they will have an schedule for a return to classes up by the end of the week… by which I figure they mean today. My guess is that classes resume a week from Monday.

One of the girls staying with us had her boyfriend swing by their rental house. He didn’t have a key so he wasn’t able to get inside but to his layman’s eyes he didn’t think that the neighborhood had been flooded. A pretty sizable pine tree did come down in the yard and apparently one of the branches clipped the corner of the house, doing what he thinks was just cosmetic damage.

So I reckon that I’ll be borrowing a gas-powered chain-saw and heading back down with my daughter sometime next week to clear out the tree(s?) and possibly help patch the roof. They of course have a landlord who is supposed to handle all this stuff, but I imagine that the property-management companies have their hands full with much more immediate cases right now.

Complicating matters a bit, and uncle of mine passed away Tuesday, so I’ll need to fly out to St. Louis a week from tomorrow for the funeral.

Tin, very sorry to hear about your uncle. I lost one two weekends ago as well.

Before doing anything even minor to the house, at least ping the management company and let them know. Just trying to help you avoid any issues with them in case they are jerks about it. We had a bad ice storm here one year and I had a similar deal with large branches that fell on the roof and yard. I was going to handle things myself but called the landlord first who explicitly did NOT want me to do anything and sent an emergency person over that day (despite having 5 other houses he was also dealing with.) What I’m not sure about is if there was some specific reason why, maybe that causes and issue for the owner’s insurance? No clue.

There are liability issues, certainly.

Oh definitely. You get injured repairing his house, and he’s looking at a huge lawsuit.

Yes, when you sign up for homeowners’ insurance you get liability for people working on your property. But that applies to contractors and such, not your tenant’s boyfriend’s daddy.

I’m so sorry to hear that! You’ve got a lot to deal with.

This is true but having the property management companies go after or try to stop people from doing minor repair during a natural disaster wouldn’t provide good optics either.

I appreciate all the advice. I too recognized that the property management folks would probably ask me to not help if I ask… which is why I don’t plan to ask. At least not THAT question.

A relative in Wilmington NC had their power restored late last night, so hopefully things will keep improving for everyone else.

Where the hell did this hurricane come from? That was some real quick development. Making landfall around now. 175mph winds. Almost a cat 5. Hope everyone in the panhandle is safe.

Seriously, I swear it was just a few days ago this was looking like a fairly minor storm (on the scale of hurricanes, I mean). This one turned into a monster quick.

I only heard of it last night, its a fast mover!

Pressure is down to 919 millibars.

And they’ve been tracking this sucker on the front page of the three weather sites I visit for a week. Which is definitely fast for a hurricane…but once the models started pinging the conditions, there were a lot of meteorologists sounding warnings almost as immediately.

If landfall is officially recorded at 919 mb, that makes Michael the 3rd-strongest hurricane to ever make landfall in the US, since they’ve been recording that in the 1930s.

Katrina, by comparison, was 920.

Hurricane Andrew was 922.

There is some term for it that is escaping me at the moment–something like rapid intensification?–that is being used to describe these new hurricanes that build in intensity over a very short period of time. Obviously caused by climate change–the warmer waters north of where a hurricane normally intensifies lets them continue to build all the way to land.