The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Official landfall as a Cat 4, just edged down from a Cat 5. Be safe everyone!

These last two being superstorms of enormous importance will -hopefully- move the needle closer to the US taking global warming seriously enough for steps to address it (without withdrawing from agreements.)

And with that, I’ll step down of my P&R soapbox and hope anyone in the path of this thing stays safe. It happened so quickly I’m sure there are people trapped in the area.

Doubtful. Maybe when most of the east coast is underwater.

— Alan

(Make sure to have the sound on, and be ready to be freaked out; it’s like Banshee Chapter come to life, right @tomchick? )

That’s amazing. The low bass hold really adds to the effect. Sounds like something you’d hear in Braveheart or something.

That’s pretty much the exact term: Rapid intensification - Wikipedia

Charlotte is under what’s left of the eye right now. This storm STILL has a ton of rain and wind to it, which is pretty amazing this far inland.

Yeah, one of my remote employees is in Greensboro and said they got hit way worse by Michael than they did by Florence.

I’m in Raleigh and that’s dedinitely true here. We snuck between Flo’s bands, for the most part. Michael is moving fast but with more local rain and wind.

Same experience here. I’m weathering the storm in a large conference room where two of the four walls are floor to (very high) ceiling glass! That makes things more exciting…

It seemed like I was getting hit with information every which way when Florence came through, but I’ve hardly heard anything in regards to Michael.

I think part of it is how quickly the storm built up in strength compared to watching Florence creep in. We always knew that one was going to be bad.

My knowledge of that part of the country isn’t great, but isn’t the panhandle pretty sparsely populated in comparison to Florence’s path? That’s probably the other reason. If Michael drilled Miami I bet we’d be seeing a lot more coverage.

Is it just me or does this seem like the most damaging storm in a long time? The pictures are insane.

I wonder if it’s because Florence had so much flooding that you don’t get the visual impact in the pictures that you do from total destruction with wind and water.

Probably pics of landfall. Panama City was flattened. And as far as coverage, as you might guess, it’s a big deal down here.

What happens when a house you are trying to sell gets wiped?

I’m guessing it turns into an insurance claim, then repairs (good luck getting those done in the next 6 months - contractors are already in high demand, this is going to make it even harder), then sell it?

Or could you take the cash, and just sell the lot?

Eg, look at this listing from Mexico Beach:

We lost power and have trees down in our back yard. Ugh. I feel like I just finished cleaning up the last ones.

My dad was trying to sell his beach house on Topsail Beach (barrier islands) last year, but no one bit so they were just waiting for next summer to try again at a more favorable price. It got hit pretty hard with Florence and while it’s still standing has a ton of damage to the roof, siding, has water damage all inside, etc…

With the damage to that whole island (some houses are completely gone) I doubt they’d be able to sell next year without taking a massive hit, even with insurance paying for most of the repairs.

Check this out… Ugh.