The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

They mentioned on NPR this morning that (I think this was Florence and Michael combined) estimates say $25 billion in damages, with only maybe 50% of that insured. The rest is just lost.

Seems insane not to have hurricane insurance in Florida, or really anywhere on the Gulf or Atlantic coast. I’m surprised you can get a mortgage without it.

Seems insane to live on a coast these days.

That too.

Devastation. Devastation. Perfectly fine house on stilts. Devastation.

Wouldn’t think a storm surge would do that. I’d think it would take a tsunami.

35 of the 68 counties in Florida are coastal, but they contain over 98% of the population. And if you want Hurricane insurance on a $1M coastal home in Florida it’s probably 20-50$K/yr.

Yeah, hurricane insurance is real pricey here. And then there are different types. You might have ‘wind driven water insurance’ but your damage was caused by rising flood waters, so you lose. Also the cost for living on a flood plain is around ten times higher than normal.

Insurance is also complicated. If a hurricane causes flooding then that goes against flood insurance not hurricane insurance, so I have no idea who covers half of this stuff.

I think the answer is “nobody.”

Yeah Katrina had the your house didn’t flood so your flood insurance didn’t cover it. The roof was ripped off and it rained so that’s some other kind of insurance. It’s really messed up.

We got it pretty bad here in Greensboro- my morning run was dodge all the downed trees in the dark and parents yard got flooded. Also some nearby tornados. It was as bad as Hugo, though the worst of it was during the day instead of in the middle of the night.

Amazing footage of Michael’s landfall

It really depends on where you live in FL. I live in Sarasota County and pay about $400/yr in hurricane insurance. Of course I am about 10 miles from the beach on a house but still on the Gulf side of I-75, built in 2006 and 26 feet above sea level in a non-flood zone (not even 100 year flood zone). Three of the major shelters for the County are schools that triangulate my house so if this area floods then the only rescue would be from Noah.

For fun:

I am 501.97 ft above sea level.

I saw that earlier today I think on facebook, I am surprised the camera kept working!

It’s a GoPro. Sort of a commercial for the brand, ultimately.

Yeah it has a waterproof case. Just really needed to make sure it was secure and powered in one way or another.

— Alan

It’s the secured part that’s the surprise bit. That wind and water was literally moving chunks of street.