The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

You mean like 3 posts above that one in this thread? Haha!

Waddaya know?

Haha, that’s why I always scroll up a few days worth of posts before replying 😜

Hurricane Willa is about to strike the Mexican Pacific coast; it has sustained winds of 160 mph.

… and as if that weren’t enough, there is a tropical storm behind it.

Fortunately the area is relatively sparsely inhabited. It’s going to pass right over the Isla Magdelena islands National Parks… which is still a hard thing for them nonetheless.

It looks like the main hurricane is going to pass between Mazatlan and Tepic (my guesstimated track).

My Mexican geography sucks. Are there any large population centers in its path?

Mazaltan and Tepic are both in the 300-400 range, and Puerto Vallarta the low 200’s. They’re at the fringe of the hurricane zone mostly, Puerto firmly in the tropical storm band.

Mazaltan seems most at risk here, since it is directly on the coast. There are a number of small coastal communities there it seems, and a decent amount of farm land.

I had to look most of that up, only vaguely having a sense this was small cities.

Aside from the direct hits (maybe) towns of Tecuala and Acaponeta (40k and 30k pop respectively) that are not on the coast but are likely going to get a direct hit otherwise, i’d probably most be worried about flooding in Monterrey several hundred miles away but which looks like the hurricane is headed toward, which has about 4 million people in its metro area, similar to how there’s been so much flooding in Texas over the last couple weeks because of remnant tropical storms.

Fortunately it has to go over mountains to get there so it’s unlikely to be damaging from winds at that point.

First snow flurries here in West Michigan today. Nothing significant yet, of course, but…

not ready!

Hit 28 last night. I forgot about one of my plants. He’s a goner. One of my sisters said to try and plant it, maybe it will emerge.

Also… no fall, just straight up winter, 28!

Dang, wasn’t quite that cold further north. Think we got just to around 32, enough for frost but that’s it.

Still made me bust out the jacket. That was fast, was in the 70s barely over a week ago.

Yeah, it’s like we’re losing fall and spring and just going to extreme winters and summers. It’s not a mostly gradual shift anymore.

Conversely, in Utah it has felt to me that we’ve finally been getting some spring and fall weather for a change instead of immediately transitioning from winter cold to fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk hot. That’s mostly been at the expense of winter, though.

I remember as a kid, going sledding was something we often did after Thanksgiving dinner. One year, I remember the folks on the news station expressing incredulity that there might not be snow and we could have a “green” Christmas. Now? There’s never snow at Thanksgiving, let alone deep enough to go sledding. No snow on the ground for Christmas isn’t unusual at all. In fact, I’d say it’s right around Christmas that we first see some snow that sticks around.

I’m not that old, but the shifting baseline I’ve experienced in my 40 years here has been something else.

Here in the St. Louis area it feels like we get less snow than we used to.

New Hampshire has seen pretty much the same change since I was a kid.

This snow today is insane. That is all.

Yeah NJ is a clusterfuck too.

Yep , PA/NJ/NY area roads are FUBAR.

The road chaos of the first snowfall of the year.

My sister picked up my sister nephew earlier today. She said the schools closed down and contacted parents.

That’s impossible. You can’t pick yourself up, otherwise we could all fly. Q.E.D.