The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

We are getting snow, but at least we are > 10 feet above sea level, my good man!

Skype!

As usual the weather people are clueless, it snowed all day here in NEPA , they predicted 2-4 and there is almost 8 inches on the lampost outside, haven’t seen a plow all day.

Glad I was off from work today. :)

0 degrees here currently, with a wind chill of -20. All schools are closed, including the universities (can’t have kids trekking across campus in frostbite weather). The USPS announced there would be no mail service today as well. While most people seem to have come into work today, the downtown streets are empty of the usual foot traffic…seems nobody wants to go get Starbucks in -20 degree winds!

I work in a high rise building downtown where they normally shut off the heat or AC at 7:00pm and turn it back on at 6:00am each weekday. Last night they left the heat on all night to prevent damage to the HVAC system and anything in an outer office (like mine). I have windows on two sides of my office, and I have to keep my door closed and locked at night for security purposes. I left it open last night (I didn’t know the building would keep the heat on) because otherwise it would have been around 40 degrees in my office this morning. I’ve come in on cold winter days to discover ice on the inside of my window ledges where condensation froze overnight. Thanks to the overnight heat, it’s currently a balmy 66 in my office.

That pales in comparison to Chicago and similar places though. I feel for anyone fighting those temperatures today. Stay safe people!

Yeah, it’s going to be chilly here in NYC. Typically our coldest is in the low teens, and it’ll get down to 6. Biggest problem is everybody has to walk around in the city, and the buildings funnel wind like crazy. It can take your breath away. But not a big deal.

It’s a balmy 3 degrees here in St. Louis, up from -4 this morning.

Crazy thing is it’s supposed to hit 60 this weekend.

We had a longer, colder stretch last year, I think.

Not below 10 F, unless my memory is going.

Don’t worry. If your brain gets cold enough it will become a superconductor. Then you will remember everything.

Pfft, if he was really tough on crime, he’d outlaw it.

Also worried about the pipes/furnace.

Though, I laugh at your -20

That is real temp/wind chill.

Meanwhile, here in Michigan an unfortunately timed fire at a natural gas facility has resulted in an emergency phone blast requesting all residents turn their thermostats down to 65F. Many of the state’s auto plants have shut down to reduce consumption.

Jesus that’s awful. Stay warm tonight, Qt3 <3 <3 <3

Yep, and here to say that as well. Didn’t realize there was a natural gas fire. Yikes.

Sounds like SOP for DTE to me.

Ah, so that’s what prompted that broadcast message! I was gonna go look but now I don’t need to bother.

Jon, you can appreciate my coworker’s comments on a conference call yesterday. We were all saying, “well at least we don’t live where Dave is, I wonder if he will even make it to the office?” To which, Dave piped up, FROM the office in Bismarck where he drove in with -32 temp not counting windchill and said something to the effect of, “guys I was born here and live in this. This isn’t a weather emergency here, it’s a Wednesday.”

Well, it appears the pipes didn’t freeze overnight. I had the ones that run through the unheated garage (closed but still very cold) on a slow drip. They are insulated too in the ceiling, but still. The rest of the house’s pipes run through the center and floor.

I actually checked the cold water temp with a meat thermometer, got down to about 45F in the bathrooms over the garage, the kitchen was around 52 F (which is what I assume the typical groundwater temp is)

So, not too close to freezing, but getting refrigerator cold water out of the tap is pretty crazy.

The puppy isn’t a fan of the cold, but she survived enough time outside to potty, and she was very much willing to want to go for a walk, but you could tell her paws were not up to the task.

I can’t wait for it to warm up this weekend, 40 degrees will feel like summer!