The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Oh man! That’s awesome! I’m so glad the sale worked for you and that the jacket came in handy.

Speak for yourself! We got over a half foot on Monday and then non-stop lake effect since then. Finally let up today but still coming down every now and again. I’ve had to go out and clear the driveway several times in this cold!

Edit: To be fair, that also meant we stayed warm relative to the rest of the midwest.

Oh good lord. I’m so sorry man. Adding that to that cold snap would be brutal. Please tell me you have a snow blower.

I wish everyone would tag their posts with where they live!

CENTRAL NEW YORK before you rib me. :)

I do! I even upgraded last year to get one that can deal with the terrible stuff the plow leaves at the end of the driveway.

For Dave Perkins: West Michigan

Huntersville, North Carolina

Valles Marineris

Europa. Do not approach.

I mean when you tell your stories YOU GUYS!!!

Awesome, thanks for finding that and reminding me, I want to bookmark that site.

And thanks, Telefrog. I didn’t even include the rest of the story: I actually bought two of the jackets, and donated one to a local homeless shelter who found a young fellow about my size to give it to. He was thrilled as well.

I’m looking at the Alpha Industries raincoats now. I need a new raincoat.

I have too many raincoats, and I can never seem to find the perfect one. Either they are too good at keeping water out and get clammy/hot, or they are too loose and you get water in, or they just don’t fit well so you get the coat part fitting right but the hood is made apparently for the elephant man, etc. I’ve settled on the lightest one and carrying the least broken umbrella I have available.

I have one good cold weather parka and I’m glad that’s the only one I need.

I…do not own a raincoat. Huh. Oh well, made it this far.

I have one of those for the summer, but I’d like a more formal-looking trenchcoat style one for work.

Why not just use an umbrella? You bike to work?

Last Wednesday it rained so fucking much my bottom 20"-24" were soaked with an umbrella. I know you two are NYC ppl.

Ahh. I do have a gigantic umbrella for days like that, but it’s unwieldy so I generally just use my small one (also the Wirecutter’s recommendation, of course!) and deal with it.

Jebus who spends $130 on a raincoat?

Poncho ftw!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mossi-XT-Series-One-Size-Blaze-Orange-Adult-Rain-Poncho-51-114BO/203646772

I got their previous recommendation, which was like sixty bucks. It also works great.

I typically just buy whatever the Wirecutter tells me to buy. They haven’t steered me wrong yet. Just replaced my smoke detector with a Nest Protect, seemed like a lot for a smoke detector but what the hell.