The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Camping, hiking and walking dogs makes them a requirement. Otherwise getting to work and back is an exercise in walking really fast with an umbrella.

Looks like a good fit. Clammy at all?

The previous one wasn’t clammy, no. Trick is the zippers ventilating your armpits.

It rained in San Diego yesterday. People lose their minds here when that happens. My normally 15-20 minute drive to pick up my kids after work took an hour. My son was waiting out on the sidewalk, in the rain, shivering. Poor little guy. And we have to suffer through more chilly 60° weather and rain this weekend. It doesn’t rain here a lot, but when it does it’s usually on the weekend.

This is for all you northerners out there:

I’ll keep that in mind in around six months when you’re stuffing wet towels under your doorjamb to keep out the smoke.

Hahahaha

Indeed :)

My brother and I have an annual ritual where I send him a picture of myself sitting on the beach in January in tanktop and shorts and he sends me a picture of himself flipping me off in the middle of a snowstorm.

You laugh but live out here 10 years and I bet you would be in the same boat - it thins your blood out or something. 60F was shorts weather in the midwest growing up but out here I put on a winter jacket.

Or am I just getting older?

I dunno. I’m from the NC mountains and 50-55ish is still, “break out short sleeves,” weather to me, which is not common here in Charlotte. It really depends on your body type and if you truly run hot or cold. I have coworkers who have moved down from Northeast or Midwest and it is a toss up as to how much they still enjoy cold weather.

You know a tourist when you see an umbrella.

If you have a free hand (and not a blustery rain) then a nice umbrella and some waterproof pants make a better combo than a raincoat.

Back in the old days, people would just spray some waterproofing chems on their windbreaker every few years to try and keep the damp out. I guess I know how we are all going to die now. RIP Scotchgard

How about a crockety bloat?

Hah, yeah, you’re an Oregonian. They look down upon umbrella users with disdain.

Yeah. It’s really a thing. I don’t actually know why I just know I have a umbrella in my car that I have never used, and when I bought a new car I put it in there to not use.

Oh god this is so accurate.

It was 16F when I went out for lunch today in a short sleeve shirt and an unzipped windbreaker. And I was comfortable.

I’d call some of you wimps, but I don’t like leaving the house once it gets above 80F.

Even on days where it gets above 110F here, I can count on seeing someone outside wearing a parka.

No, no, I’m with you.

I think they’re going to have a bit of a plumbing leak when it gets warmer

No Vortex here, but it is currently snowing. Looks like the forecast wasn’t too off the mark.