The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

We had a dusting on the valley floor today. You’d think a blizzard came through. I finally took myself to urgent care because I knew it would be empty and fast… totally was.

It didn’t even stick to the roads.

Seattle folks. Remember Snowmageddon 2008?

The sequel is on its way…

This is on top of the snow we got Sunday.

My kids will be so happy.

I now know where this is!

I don’t live in a place that has weather (other than wind), but I’ve discovered the best time to avoid the lines at urgent care is Friday afternoon.

OK, Seattle folks and surrounding area - we’ve got our weather alert for the weekend and into next week. It doesn’t look pretty.

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=WAZ558&warncounty=WAC033&firewxzone=WAZ654&local_place1=West%20Seattle%20WA&product1=Special+Weather+Statement&lat=47.5646&lon=-122.3859#.XFuTAqSIbYV

We’re expecting snow too but I didn’t get the impression it would be drastic.

A 19-year-old student slipped and died at UW today.

There’s a lot of anger that the campus was reopened.

They don’t treat the sidewalks and parking lots?

No idea. But lots of students are saying they slipped around today.

That’s just tragic, regardless. Our campuses will open and there is always debate when things get icy but it’s usually for people off-campus trying to get in. they typically treat the campus itself and the parking lots.

End of last year, we had a snow squall and they didn’t plow/salt properly, the deputy mayor tried to fire the head of emergency management, he said only the mayor can fire me, but our mayor apparently only works 5 or 6 days per month so he wasn’t around, it was a whole thing.

Anyway, now they don’t fuck around, if we get even a dusting of snow, everybody puts down a ton of salt. We had half an hour of snow last week, deposited like a quarter inch, and the streets were white with salt for days afterwards, until it rained today.

Not just the streets either; if your business doesn’t shovel their sidewalks, you get fined. Not you can get fined, this is a major revenue source so they’ll getcha. If someone slips because you didn’t salt, you get fined and can get sued.

The bulk of our neighborhood apparently rejected getting sidewalks installed before I bought that house, major reason is it would make the homeowner reasonable and liable for the ones next to their property which means if someone falls on a crack or slips on ice, it’s your liability.

I’d be pretty shocked if that school didn’t treat everything and asked people to come campus. Someone’s child is dead, so I hope this was not a cost saving move.

We are making plans to close our downtown office Monday and/or Tuesday depending on what we see this weekend. Seattle is NOT prepared for any significant snowfall.

Stock up, Seattle.

My brother-in-law is a fire marshal, and according to him, the first responders are being told up to 5 inches on Friday, up to 8 inches on Saturday, with 1-2 inches on Sunday.

Stock up today. The stores were being hit pretty heavy yesterday. The word is out.

Holy Shit

Cliff Mass is a professor of atmospheric sciences at UW. The European Computer Model is considered to be the most accurate, and it has 18-20 inches of snow in downtown Seattle(!!!) by Wednesday.

What a great name!

Yeah. I took one of his courses when I was an undergrad. Cool guy.

If you live at the top of a hill: Cool. Stay put. Take pictures.

If you live at the bottom of a hill: Leave. Now.

Holy crap. Stay safe and warm Seattle QT3 folks!

It’s 62 degrees here in downtown Cincinnati today, with lots of rain in the form of nasty thunderstorms every hour or so. If this was snow we’d be so screwed.