The Mummy (2017) - Tom Cruise and the start of Universal's monster universe

Tom, go home. You’re drunk.

Now Imma watch Shuicide Squad agin.

-TOm

This is now on HBO, and yep, it’s pretty awful. I am not even sure they knew what kind of movie they wanted to make. It’s like they were taking all the bad parts of every kind of sort genre they’re almost imitating and shoving it into one movie thinking somehow they would birth a franchise out of it. I kind of wanted to vote for the Mummy in the end because she was the only character that felt like an actual fleshed out character.

Buy hey, if you have HBO and you want to watch a train-wreck with not too bad visuals, here you go.

Har har.

I also watched VatCoaTP twice. First time I watched 15 minutes, and the second time 40 minutes. I’m sure I’ll do better next time, I just have to keep at it, work hard and eventually I’ll make it to the end.

This accidentally released trailer with incomplete sound is still the best Mummy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRqxyqjpOHs

Yeah, that munged trailer is awesome. It’s easily justification enough for however much time, money, and talent (?) was squandered on that Mummy movie.

-Tom

Since this appears to be the de facto “Dark Universe” thread, I’ll leave this info here:

The article mentions that while several Universal monster movies may be in development, they aren’t mandated to be part of a larger “universe” as originally planned.

Ha ha, they lost Johnny Depp. But I will gladly trade Johnny Depp in the lead for Leigh Whannell in the director’s chair.

-Tom

It’s an amazing view into the movie studio world. The studios without strong comic/superhero licenses are just desperate to get any sort of equivalent on screen to compete. It’s a tough place to be and I frankly have no clue what I would do in their place, but of course, that’s not my job.

This seems like a good development, imo. I’d like to see these movies remade as monster/horror movies, i.e. updated versions of the originals – not as big CGI action movies. There really hasn’t been a “good” movie featuring one of these monsters since the 70s, at best, if you include the Langella Dracula movie (scratch that, actually, it was tepid, but at least an attempt at a serious, haunting movie). Maybe the 50s, with Creature from the black lagoon.

That all said, Hollow Man was essentially a modern horror remake of Invisible Man, which was decent. A lot of people aren’t as familiar with the original Invisible Man movie, but in it he was a real psychotic who killed more people than any other Universal monster in any movie.

I’ll admit that Dracula Untold is a guilty pleasure for me. I viewed it as an origin story, since they made Dracula so comic-booky in the film. In that respect, I dug it as a period superhero film, and wish they could have sequeled it.

Yeah, the invisibility treatment drove him insane. An invisible serial killer.

Not terribly surprising, considering the rest of Universal’s monsters came after their victims with all the alacrity of an 80-year old grandma.