The Muslim Ban: America Loses Its Mind.

@Timex and @ShivaX, I hear you brothers. I have lots of friends and relatives saying and doing the same.

Apparently because they know I’ve voted Republican before, and that I identify as an Independent, they think I’m onboard with the lunacy, so they feel comfortable sending me stupid Facebook shit or making comments about “the Canadians” (one of my older relatives terms for African-Americans her AARP circle apparently thinks is clever) and the immigrants. These people forget two very important factors:

1. My status as an Independent isn’t so much founded on my disagreement with either ideology as it is my recognition that blind obedience to any ideology is a very bad thing. I am fiscally conservative, socially liberal, which puts me way closer to the left than the right these days, as the right seems to have abandoned all efforts at fiscal responsibility in favor of social authoritarianism.

2. My grandparents and their relatives on my mom’s side were Italian immigrants who came over from 1905-1935. We have all kinds of documentation about it, a couple of them even have names on the wall at Ellis Island (my kids and I found them last summer on our NYC trip). That article posted above about “Dagos”, they lived that shit. The stories I heard as a kid and the respect I have for my family who came to America and carved a new life out of nothing has shaped who I am today and how I personally feel about immigrants.

As far as I am concerned there are a metric fuckton of “Real Americans” that should be packed up on ships and sent off to someplace else, and then we can let more immigrants into the country who will appreciate the opportunity they have and not piss all over the next generation of people to come seeking such opportunity.

They do have major problems in some cities with immigrants from certain regions. The biggest problem is however that the Swedish society have turned a blind eye to most issues/challenges that have come up with regards to their immigration policies.

There was a riot last night on Sweden, pretty much proving Trump right.

Dammit, Sweden.

So Trump had foreknowledge of this too, just like the Russian/Wikileaks hacks! He just got the date wrong. :)

He was tipped off about the false flag attack beforehand.

[quote]
The guidance explains how the administration plans to put in place the goals dictated in Trump’s executive orders, including vastly increasing the resources to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Customs and Border Protection, building a wall along the southern border and taking a hard-line position on undocumented immigrants.

DHS officials repeatedly tried to emphasize that the policies are not an expansion of existing law.

“We’re just simply trying to execute what Congress and the President has asked us to do,” an official said. “We’re going to do so professionally (and) humanely … but we are going to execute the laws of the United States.”[/quote]

[quote]
The guidance is still unclear in many respects. It rescinds Obama executive orders besides the deferred action for children and parents of citizens – but notes that only “to the extent of the conflict” with new guidance, meaning some policies will remain in place.

For example, a fact sheet released by the department says that rules keeping churches and schools as off-limits from enforcement actions remain in operation.

Asked about the confusion over which policies do and do not remain in place, an official said, “There are a lot of internal policies and memoranda and procedures that have to be worked out individually and analyzed by the legal departments. … That’s a very deliberate project that will be conducted.”[/quote]

[quote]
While DHS officials stressed that the agency will use its limited resources to target “criminals,” as Trump has said, they also acknowledged that people who were not targeted for deportation under Obama could be eligible in this administration – giving broad latitude to agents in the field and regional offices to make decisions.

“The fact that you are not a priority does not exempt you from potential enforcement,” an official said, adding that people with crimes like DUIs and status violations, or noncriminal histories but a final order of removal could be subject to deportation.

The Trump administration has set new enforcement priorities that could apply to virtually every undocumented immigrant in the US – whereas the Obama administration had focused on serious and violent criminals – sending fear through immigrant communities about indiscriminate arrests.[/quote]

[quote]
The new plan vastly grows the number of individuals who can be deported using “expedited removal” procedures, which affords immigrants almost no court proceedings.

Under the new policy, if someone can’t prove he or she has been living in the US continuously for two years, he or she could now be eligible for expedited removal. Previously, this was limited in practice to people apprehended within 100 miles of the border and who had arrived within the past two weeks.

The memos also make a series of changes as part of ending so-called “catch and release,” where undocumented immigrants awaiting court proceedings are granted parole and leave to enter the country pending court dates that can be years in the future.

It places stricter limits on who can be paroled instead of detained, making detention pending court proceedings the default for thousands of immigrants. In an attempt to deal with the potential strain on limited detention resources, Kelly orders a surge in immigration judges and facilities.[/quote]

The actual guidance memos are here:

OK, so it’s basically everything in that disputed memo minus the deportation force.

Well, the National Guard stuff was removed, from what I understand, but still makes use of local police to assist (not a new thing, but seems like a renewed emphasis).

My favorite part, from what I was reading earlier, is how they get around separating families. If you are a legal immigrant and smuggle your child into the country, you will be prosecuted for trafficking and all your butts shipped out.

They don’t have the authority to make local police help though. Nor do most local police have any incentive to help them.

Yeah, I doubt many local police stations will be enthused with the thought of house-to-house searches in the communities they need to keep good relations with.

It’ll be a big problem if they try to force local police to do it. The pre Civil War fugitive slave law tried something similar and it only increased tensions between the sides.

I don’t think they can force local/state police stations to do anything. They can encourage it, though.

State’s rights, not just for Republicans anymore. (Stolen from Sam Bee)

Federal funds can be tied to cooperation, though. Never underestimate the power of lack of funding for police toys.

Yeah, but the GOP doesn’t necessarily like the idea of specifically withholding funds from police when they ran on a “Law & Order” platform. The Democrats would gleefully point to any increase in crime that they could tie to the Trump administration pulling the rug out from local police.

Only tangentially related, but this is awesome:
https://youtu.be/aRo-WrmGFdo

CATO policy wonk absolutely destroys Carlson. Over, and over, and over he points out that Carlson is straight up WRONG, and provides factual corrections to him.

Tucker clearly lost his powers along with his bow tie.

I love how Carlson’s only response to an unending mountain of data that the guy throws on him, is just “that’s not true!”

I also love that his “argument” is (paraphrasing slightly):

“We have more immigrants now than we did when I was a kid, but the middle class is doing worse now. So clearly immigration is hurting our economy!”

Good grief, dude, logic 101. I don’t believe he’s actually that stupid, which leaves him just being a dishonest hack in my mind.

What’s amazing is that even for that, the guy points out that his statement was just flat out wrong. That the actual evidence shows the opposite.

And Carlson just moves on, pretending like he didn’t lie to his viewers repeatedly.