The Muslim Ban: America Loses Its Mind.

While forgetting Pearl Fucking Harbor.

Use 9/11 as a rallying cry to show support of our president’s desire to ban Muslims from entering America.

Use 9/11 to castigate godless liberals and remind them that they got what they deserved on that September morning.

Pick one please.

Best response to that douchelord:
(other than the obvious Pearl Harbor references/jokes)
https://twitter.com/shadipetosky/status/842199439947120641

I liked this reply.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/17/politics/franken-somali-girl-meeting-trnd/index.html

(CNN) US Sen. Al Franken has met with a young Somali girl whose reunion with her mother was delayed by President Donald Trump’s travel ban on immigrants from seven countries.
Mushkaad Abdi, 4, had been separated from her mother and older sisters since she was just a few months old.
She finally got a visa to come to the United States, but President Trump signed the executive order barring citizens of seven countries, including Somalia, from entering the country, before she could rejoin her family in Minnesota.

Mushkaad was allowed to come to the United States and rejoin her family on February 2, after a couple of anxious days.
Franken, among those who championed the reunion, met Mushkaad for the first time on Thursday and tweeted a picture of the little girl laughing while shaking his hand.

Theres a new ban, and is a ban of muslim laptops.

Here come the constant reminders that the Security State is necessary.

So…they won’t let them carry any electronics so that they can be freely searched from the luggage? What’s the point of this?

Pretty sure you just nailed it.

Well, that and letting them dirty muzzums know we don’t like their kind 'round here.

DHS can take all the time they want privately “scrutinizing” items checked in luggage. Nobody around to document the handling, either.

AKA, free laptops for the TSA!

Sounds like the IC has credible information about certain terror groups that have been working on devices that can pass through the security checks at specific points of departure from the Middle East and North Africa. Not sure what difference it makes having said device stowed in the cargo hold versus the cabin, but then again, we don’t know the exact nature of the intelligence.

To me this seems more like precautions being taken in light of new information concerning specific threats, rather than just a Muslim laptop ban. The temporary nature of the ban would seem to indicate they’re working with the countries involved to improve screening processes to counter the threat.

I’m hopeful (if you see what I mean) that’s the case. That said, this sort of thing isn’t encouraging:[quote]
Trump administration officials said the measure was “airport specific” but did not explain why​ ​the airports had been singled out. Asked to elaborate on the security threat, they highlighted several incidents over the past two years, including the case of an EgyptAir passenger jet which crashed into the Mediterranean in 2016. They also referred to the 2016 terror attacks on airports in Brussels and Istanbul.[/quote]

So that would be one incident whose cause has not been established, and whose point of departure wasn’t one of the airports affected, and two not involving electronics at airports not covered by the ban.

To be fair, another incident cited by the official explanation is thought to have been caused by a laptop bomb. But it was on an airline not covered by the ban flying from an airport not covered by the ban, presumably because that airline doesn’t fly to the US at all and there are no direct flights from the airport, because it is in Mogadishu.

I have been on a flight to the US from Poland of all places where basically all carry on items were not allowed. Not even my dumb phone or keys. The US was pushing a bunch of countries to increase scanning and I think Poland just took the screw-you-guys-you-get-nothing approach. The timing of this makes me question it obviously but it isn’t unprecedented.

CNNFN (CNN Fake News) is reporting :

[quote]An aviation official told CNN that there is a security concern regarding passengers boarding nonstop flights to the U.S. from specific countries. This relates to the “screening in [some] countries” for nonstop flights to the U.S.

They added that they believe a threat to the U.S. would be negated if a passenger transferred through a secondary city with additional and more trustworthy screening procedures. The directive is to ensure enhanced security measures at select airports for a limited duration.

Another U.S. official says the ban on some electronics is believed to be related to Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula or AQAP. The intelligence community has been tracking this threat for some time, but the official said that some information from a recent U.S. Special Forces raid in Yemen contributed to the ongoing concern.

AQAP has been actively trying to build bombs that contain little or no metal content to target commercial aircraft. And the group’s chief bomb maker, Ibrahim al-Asiri, has trained others to do so. To date, they are the only terror organization that has shown a marked effort to try to attack airlines, the officials said.

A third U.S. official said there has been concern about attacks via electronics for some months, but there wasn’t enough information to warrant an airline action before. [/quote]

So that makes me think there is a credible threat that the IC understands but the White House (as usual) does not. Perhaps if Mr. Trump attended the occasional intelligence briefing? I mean, the US wire taps lots of people and places outside of Trump Tower, he’d be amazed at what we learn!

But if I transfer to another international flight in most countries, I don’t go through security again.

Yeah, the laptop/device ban/screening sounds like the IC has a credible threat to worry about.

This is the Trump Administration we’re talking about, so don’t assume it has any useful function.

Electronics Ban on Planes Not Prompted By Specific Threat: Officials

“This is something they could have decided to do last month, or never,” one U.S. official said. “There is no new critical piece of intelligence, but at the same time there are bad people trying to do bad things.”

The fact that there’s no specific threat but the ban only applies to very, very specific flights over a limited duration means it’s for show… They’re just putting it out there to grab some headlines that make you think “Scary terrorists!” instead of “Russian spy!” or “Screwed on health care!” or “Our President has the mental capacity of a child!”