The Muslim Ban: America Loses Its Mind.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-administration-moving-quickly-to-build-up-nationwide-deportation-force/2017/04/12/7a7f59c2-1f87-11e7-be2a-3a1fb24d4671_story.html

An internal Department of Homeland Security assessment obtained by The Washington Post shows the agency has already found 33,000 more detention beds to house undocumented immigrants, opened discussions with dozens of local police forces that could be empowered with enforcement authority and identified where construction of Trump’s border wall could begin.

The agency also is considering ways to speed up the hiring of hundreds of new Customs and Border Patrol officers, including ending polygraph and physical fitness tests in some cases, according to the documents.

[…]

Congressional Democrats, who have opposed Trump’s immigration agenda, have expressed skepticism that Congress would agree to approve funding for many of the expensive initiatives.

For example, Trump has called for CBP to hire 5,000 new agents and Immigration and Customs Enforcement an additional 10,000. The DHS assessment said the cost of hiring just 500 agents would reach $100 million.

Republican leaders have proposed putting off a decision on Trump’s initial request of $1.5 billion for the wall and another $2.6 billion for additional border security next year until after a new spending bill is approved this month in hopes of averting a government shutdown.

[…]

Cost concerns are peppered throughout the DHS assessment documents. Although ICE has identified 27 potential locations that could increase its detention space by 21,000 additional beds, that agency “will be unable to secure additional detention capability until funding has been identified,” according to the documents.

In addition, CBP has made contingencies to expand its own detention capacity by 12,500 spaces, but the agency does not spell out whether funding is available for those slots.

CBP also is laying the groundwork to potentially hold immigration court hearings through video conference at or near U.S. ports of entry if the government of Mexico agrees to house third-country immigrants awaiting their adjudication in the U.S. legal system, the documents show.

Sadder trombone.

[quote]
“They told me to get my stuff, they put me in the back of a van and sped toward the border,” Beristain added. “They took me to another facility while in transport to sign paperwork. I asked to speak with my attorney but was told there wasn’t time for that. At around 10:00 p.m., I was dropped off at the Mexico-U.S. Border and walked into Mexico.”[/quote]

What a fucking idiot. I feel bad for the guy and his kids, but I have zero sympathy for the wife. I hope she has many long years of contemplation on her vote in 2016.

The US actually became majority-urban around 1915 or so, though cultural perceptions of that took some time to catch up.

Fun fact: the percent of the US of the US population involved in agriculture has been falling ever since the second US Census in 1800.

Similar situation here in Cincinnati. The news was all over the ICE arrest and detention of a local woman married to a U.S. citizen and with children who are citizens (including a young daughter with special needs). ICE apparently arrested her at her job, where, like the guy in the story above, she’d worked for some time, had a social security card, paid taxes, and was never in trouble with the law. But she’s still an illegal immigrant in the eyes of the law, so they shipped her off to a detention center in Louisiana where she awaits deportation next week.

Of course lots of people here are all bemoaning how this could have possibly happened. If it wasn’t so fucking tragic I would sneer at these little old ladies (who most likely voted for Trump) on television holding their prayer circle and condemning the government for separating a mother from her children. “She’s done nothing wrong! She’s not a bad person!” Except in the eyes of the Donald J. Trump Immigration Enforcement policy she HAS done something wrong, she’s here illegally.

I think it’s lazy as hell for ICE to be arresting decent people who show up for their appointments thinking they’re going to check in and be OK or get the status on whatever point in the immigration process they are in. Talk about the cops and donut shop stereotype. Where are the news stories about the drug dealing illegals in the projects that ICE has arrested and deported? Instead it’s all about the “nice people” that got caught in the system. Those kind of optics are going to turn sour pretty quickly, and I would not be surprised if many former Trump supporters start to turn on him over it, especially if a story comes back about a deported mom or dad who ends up dead in Mexico because of gang violence.

The most frustrating part about the Indiana story for me is that woman’s husband got deported after she voted for Trump and her takeaway was “I wish I hadn’t voted at all.”

No, idiot. You voted for the person that literally campaigned on the promise of deporting people. The takeway isn’t “don’t ever vote.” The lesson you should’ve learned is “pay attention to the damn election process and put some thought into your vote” but seeing as she’s a complete dumbass, I can’t complain about her never stepping into a voting booth for the rest of her life.

Yeah voting for the person who is least likely to deport her husband never occurred to her because her news sources of choice tell her it’s them or nothing. You can’t possibly vote for evil which is how they portray their opponents.

If there’s one thing I took away from the Presidential election of '92 (hang with me, I’m going somewhere with this) it’s not to trust anyone who tells you that the answers are simple. The main thing I hear from the Republicans is that it’s always simple, it’s always us versus them. The problem is this lady didn’t define her terms before voting, she thought her husband was us. But of course Trump doesn’t see it that way, he’s lumped in with all those thieves and rapists that keep sneaking over the border and voting Hillary.

That’s a lovely story. I really want to be Canadian for the next four years.

It was great to see. In our city, we had people meeting refugees at the airport, helping them set up households and find work. My wife picked up two Syrian kids and took them to soccer practice with our kids every week until we moved. They were normal kids looking to have a normal life.

Froim the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR): a website for monitoring and combatting Islamophobia.

A number of individuals serving in the Trump Administration have a history of problematic and misleading statements about Islam and Muslims. Many of them are also connected with virulent Islamophobic groups, indicating the influence these organizations exert in the new administration.

Presented here is a record of these individuals, their background, and examples of their Islamophobic rhetoric and behavior. The record starts with the president and continues in alphabetical order. This is followed by a list of individuals who are either being considered for positions, or who formerly held positions, within the administration. Finally, brief summaries of groups within the Islamophobia Network which possess close ties to the Trump administration are provided.

He’s the judge who oversaw a lawsuit involving Trump University who Trump accused of being biased because of his “Mexican heritage.” Curiel, who was born in Indiana, approved a $25 million settlement between Trump and students who claimed they overpaid for real estate seminars. Trump didn’t admit any wrongdoing under the terms of the settlement.

Now, Curiel has been assigned to handle a lawsuit brought on behalf of Juan Manuel Montes, 23, a California resident who was deported in February despite being approved for the Deferred Actions for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which provides protective status for undocumented immigrants brought to the country as children.

Curiel’s assignment to the case was completely coincidental, according to rules for the Southern District of California. Kari Hong, an assistant professor at Boston College Law School who used to be an attorney in California, said judges are selected based on a rotating schedule. The court sets up a list of available judges and they are assigned each case as they come in.

The US AG: A state is now “an island in the Pacific.”

Is he also amazed that he is part of the government of an island in the Pacific?

I would like him to express similar amazement that there are Senators and Congresspeople from a frozen wasteland attached to Canada, helping draft and enact laws that affect the good ol’ boys of 'Bama.

Hah, stupid Hawaii thinking that it’s a state.

It’s actually just Spam Dumping Ground Beta (S. Korea is Alpha; my mouth is Gamma).

Every time I think “Jeff Sessions couldn’t possibly be more of a stupid, racist, asshole, could he?” he finds a new way to surprise me.

(Jeff Sessions tomorrow: “I’m the victim here. The liberal elites are the real stupid, racist assholes for picking on on me just because I said something stupid, racist, and assholish.”)

Hey, I’ve been told by many folks that I don’t live in the US. I’ve even had an ISP try and charge me for international calls. Pretty much every month a tourist will ask me how often do you go back to the US

Prior to the days of Amazon prime, it was common to see to free shipping in the US*

*Doesn’t apply to Alaska, Hawaii, or anyplace outside the continental US.

The disturbing thing about Jeff Session comments isn’t his dissing of Hawaii. It was common for liberals including members of Obama’s administration.to mock a judge’s ruling from Mississippi, WV or Alabama that block some order or agency rules as being from ignorant racist parts of the country.

I really am amazed that a judge sitting on an island in the Pacific can issue an order that stops the president of the United States from what appears to be clearly his statutory and Constitutional power.

What I find very troubling is not acknowledging that judicial branch is a co-equal branch of our government. A single judge blocking the rule is the system working as designed. Our government isn’t designed to be fast, nor efficient is designed to ensure that everyone is treated fairly, which include Muslim immigrants in this case.

Stuff like this might be the reason the South get’s mocked so often when it comes to legal decisions:

Well, that and half the time when people are mocking them it’s because the judge literally doesn’t seem to understand the Constitution.