The Muslim Ban: America Loses Its Mind.

Just so everyone is clear, PatriotHole is a subsidiary site of The Onion. That’s a parody click bait image. Just saying because it can be hard to tell sometimes.

Psh, divedi “fun murderer” vedive over here, folks.

I’ll get you and your little dog too, Armando!

*pulls off fake mustache*

http://imgur.com/wjGFG

*gasp!*

Why, it’s old Pogue Mahone, notorious robber baron and joke-spoiler!

What? No, I - hey what’s that over there!

BuzzFeed: California Deals Blow To Trump’s Plan To Expand Immigrant Detention Centers

The provision inside the state’s budget bill stops the expansion of immigration detention centers and requires state oversight of existing facilities.

California lawmakers on Thursday dealt a blow to the Trump administration’s plans to expand capacity for detaining undocumented immigrants in the state.

The provision, which is part of California’s $125-billion budget, stops local jurisdictions from signing new contracts or expanding existing contracts with US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for detaining immigrants. It also requires the state attorney general to conduct reviews of all detention facilities holding immigrants. The budget plan now goes to the desk of Gov. Jerry Brown, who is expected to sign it.

President Donald Trump was forced to amend his travel ban on Wednesday over legal concerns that the executive order‘s entry ban on nationals of six Muslim-majority countries would expire. But in doing so, he has damaged his own legal case to preserve the ban.

Two federal district courts and two appeals courts have blocked the main provision of the president’s executive order, which bans entry to the United States for people from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen for 90 days. The 90-day clock was set to start ticking on the “the effective date of this order,” which the order designated as “12:01 a.m., eastern daylight time on March 16, 2017.” That implied that the ban would expire on June 14. With the ban on hold and its future in the hands of the Supreme Court, the president amended his order to clarify that the effective date of the ban is not March 16 but the date when the courts allow it to go into effect.

This is entirely within the president’s power and may have been a necessary remedy to the situation. But it also undermines the administration’s case that the ban is legal and constitutional. As Mother Jones has previously noted, the executive order’s main stated reason for an entry ban is to allow the federal government to conduct a review of worldwide visa vetting procedures. The ban, then, is in furtherance of the goal of revamping visa protocols, and once the review is complete and new review processes are put in place, the ban is, by the order’s own reasoning, no longer needed. So what is the point of a ban whose effective date is no longer tied to the review and could now continue long after the review is completed?

There is a very real possibility this could happen. Last week, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals lifted an injunction against the internal review, allowing the government to begin this process, even though the ban is still on hold. If the Supreme Court decides to allow the injunction against the entry ban to remain in effect until it debates the merits of the case this fall, which is likely, then the review will have been completed while the government continues to push for the ban. (The order instructs the government to complete its report within 20 days, implement it within another 50 days, and file a report to the president on its implementation 20 days after that—a total of 90 days. The government should have been able to work on this review between January 27, when Trump signed the first version of the order, and March 6, when he replaced it with a revised version.)

BuzzFeed: Border Patrol Arrests Immigrants Seeking Medical Care During Desert Heat Wave

The agreement allowed the organization to continue providing medical assistance to immigrants — and meant that those crossing the border wouldn’t be too afraid of arrest to seek out help from the activists. That deal, which No More Deaths described as a “good faith agreement,” no longer appears to be operative, and could be bad news for immigrants crossing the border.

According to an unsigned copy of the agreement provided to BuzzFeed News by No More Deaths, the deal provided the group with the ability to conduct medical care for immigrants without fear that they would be interfered with. It also required Border Patrol officers to be trained on “the Red Cross Code of Conduct, the principles of our relationship, and respect for the independent mission of the humanitarian organizations.”

Maryada Vallet, a spokesperson for No More Deaths, said the raid “feels like a direct and targeted attack on the humanitarian assistance we are providing during these hot and deadly days.”

According to the group, CBP officials informed them that agents had been tracking the immigrants crossing the border for 18 miles and only arrested them after they were in the camp receiving treatment.

Someone’s having a sad that Trump’s Big Beautiful Border Wall isn’t happening.

Sounds like she’s losing faith. May I suggest:

The main problem with the wall is that it’s just going to lead to an illegal immigration arms race. What if the Mexicans/Muslims/terrorists (is there technically a difference? They’re all just shades of Suspicious Brown to me) create technologies to defeat the wall, such as planks of wood? Where do we go from there?

The proper plan would be for the Pentagon to put out an RFP for anti-plank technologies. The DoD would then no doubt wisely choose the best possible proposal in terms of technical proficiency and cost, and the chosen contractor would execute the work in an efficient manner, almost certainly coming in under-budget and on-time.

You know, a lot like the F-35 program.

Conservative columnist Bret Stephens has a great column in the NY Times

In the matter of immigration, mark this conservative columnist down as strongly pro-deportation. The United States has too many people who don’t work hard, don’t believe in God, don’t contribute much to society and don’t appreciate the greatness of the American system.

They need to return whence they came.

I speak of Americans whose families have been in this country for a few generations. Complacent, entitled and often shockingly ignorant on basic points of American law and history, they are the stagnant pool in which our national prospects risk drowning.

On point after point, America’s nonimmigrants are failing our country. Crime? A study by the Cato Institute notes that nonimmigrants are incarcerated at nearly twice the rate of illegal immigrants, and at more than three times the rate of legal ones.

Educational achievement? Just 17 percent of the finalists in the 2016 Intel Science Talent Search — often called the “Junior Nobel Prize” — were the children of United States-born parents. At the Rochester Institute of Technology, just 9.5 percent of graduate students in electrical engineering were nonimmigrants.

Nice. That’s some Modest Proposal level stuff there.

It’s really sad that the line between being against illegal immigration and blind nativism is so thin. It’s the de facto acceptable outlet for racism.

-Tom

Quick to label others as ignorant of American law and history, but he somehow thinks its ok to demand people “believe in God” and “appreciate the greatness of the American system”. What’s his point, that lazy Americans should just buck up and start working hard? Or that we need to revamp education to include more God, Protestant Work Ethic, and Patriotism?

Uh it is satire, just like Jonathan Swift’s Modest Proposal was. In point of fact, I know there is a correlation between the decline of the Protestant work ethic and stagnant/slow growing middle-class income. I’d actually make a bet that there is a causation relationship although probably hard to prove.

So it’s satire, but you agree with it? I think I give up…

Yes, I agree that problem with America isn’t too many immigrants. It is that native-born American have forgotten the values of their immigrant forefathers.

I’d agree with that. Maybe we can send them back to Europe where they’d be arrested for speaking their minds.