The NCAA Men’s Basketball Thread (And the Feds)

I don’t understand why that couldn’t be reviewed. It was an extraordinary feat of athleticism, regardless.

Yeah, it was a pretty great athletic sequence. But I could tell the moment it happened that it was not a legal play. I thought it was clear that he was out of bounds. The commentators basically said the refs were probably distracted by the block. Uh…what?

I don’t understand a lot of the weird minutiae of what can be reviewed and what cannot.

-xtien

Damn what a game. Shame that a turnover decided it. And a dumb coach’s plan to foul on purpose.

Still. Edwards. What a shooter. Sheesh.

-xtien

Auburn had knocked off Kansas, North Carolina, and Kentucky. Remarkable.

And this is crazy, but apparently a 2-seed has never beaten a 5-seed since the tournament went to 64 teams.

State has done a much better job of protecting the ball. Biting my nails.

Duke done in by the fact that they only had 2 fouls called on them in the 2nd half.

With Duke out, only godless public schools remain, and only one of them is a flagship, which is kinda neat. Though, in light of recent events, it’s going to be a long while before I feel comfortable rooting for Michigan State in anything so I’d probably rather have Duke in instead.

I have no ties to any of the teams still around, so since Bruce Pearl has more recruiting violations I’m throwing my support behind Auburn. Let the NCAA burn, I say. Also, considering all the bluebloods they knocked out, Auburn probably deserve it.

Even though there weren’t any real cinderella teams left, this was a great weekend of basketball. All the teams I hated lost and the teams I started rooting for won.

Man, that MSU-Duke game was a helluva ball game. MSU has overcome a lot of adversity this season and these boys just don’t seem to quit. Duke always seems to have their number so it’s nice to get this win and move on to the Final Four. Texas Tech will be a tough test for them, with their stifling defense but I think State matches up well. Point guard play is the key to dealing with a tough D and I think State has the best pg in the nation. Here’s hoping Winston can carry this team to the championship game.

Duke looked tired in the final minutes.

Incredible how many of these games have turned on unwise plays right at the end.

Virginia-Texas Tech for all the marbles. Wow. No one saw that coming four months ago.

Tech was predicted to finish 7th in the Big 12!

It’s weird in that Virginia needed a ton of luck to progress this far (the uncalled Double Dribble vs. Auburn + the desperation 3pt game against Purdue to force it to OT) but I think their style of play matches up well against Texas Tech.

I’d say Virginia wins, 55-50

I feel like UVA’s game works well against most teams but if they fall behind (either by the other team getting hot or by them missing a lot of 3-pointers) then it seems they don’t have a way to climb back. Granted, that doesn’t happen much but when it does happen, it’s terrible news for them.

Looking forward to this game… two good defensive teams in the finals, who woulda thunk it?

Texas Tech. They have been dominating people and have better guard play.

My rationale is that Texas Tech seems to dominate teams with relatively weak long range shooting ability but Virginia has a few guys making ridiculous 3pters all tournament long.

Resume wise Texas Tech has beaten better teams on their way to the Championship, no question.

Lowest over/under in 20 years. CBS must be so happy.

I watch more Big 12 than any other league through the year. I sure wouldn’t bet against them.

I’m an ACC guy but I’m pretty bummed that Auburn lost that game. They were playing so well, and Jared Harper really impressed me. I think Bruce Pearl is somewhat oogy, but I really liked getting to know the team over the course of the tournament.

-xtien

I don’t follow basketball really, but I did go to Virginia, and Georgia, so I was happy to see the 'Hoos win and Auburn lose. Especially that drunk fan with the beer, from Auburn.