The Netflix TV Show Thread

I liked 1983. Stupid algorithm thought it was a 53% match.

By the end you see the CIA seal team, they were the dudes that blew up the buildings. The thing that’s a bit weird is how the mother survives, that needs to be explained later.

The general with the blue uniform? I think he’s head of strategic arms or chief of staff. He’s doing a lot of things not fully explained… 1) claiming to CIA that he’s undergoing nuclear disarmament 2) selling nukes to Iran 3) probably planning to take out the rest of the leadership somehow.

Israel is not the person they are giving nukes to, it’s Iran. The pretty US army lady is secretly Mossad (wheels within wheels). They don’t want a nuclear-armed Iran, that’s all.

We watched The Last Czars for about 15 minutes and bailed. All the actors have English accents and the cutting to talking head academics and authors didn’t work for us. We wondered if they too were actors. Maybe it gets better?

It does not get better.

Thanks, @wisefool, Scott brought me up to speed via PM. Of course I was misremembering who the nukes were being transferred to–it makes sense then, that the one DoD lady is actually an Israeli agent.

New Netflix sci-fi debuting later this month, starring Katee Sackhoff. Looks good.

Anything Katee Sackhoff is in with scifi is something I need to watch. She earned that with BSG.

Is that Selma Blair in there too!? Awesome!

I just finished two seasons of Marcella, a British police procedural starring Anna Friel. It’s good! It won’t make anyone’s all-time top-five list, but it’s worth checking out.

I remember enjoying the first season and then forgot it existed.

I finally started watching this a couple of days ago. Wow, it starts off really strong. I’m on Episode 6 now and it’s still a great show, though it has slowed quite a bit. At first I thought the whole show would be be like the first two episodes. But the complications that have happened since took the show in an unexpected direction. Still digging it though. The young actress who plays Alyssa is so good.

I ended up bingeing all 8 of the 20 minute episodes after reading your post. Big thumbs up, looking forward to the second season. Both young actors are incredible.

I finished the show last night. It is interesting that the ending would have a very different feel if Netflix didn’t tell us in the show’s description that another season is coming.

Blown Away is a Top Chef-type reality show for glass blowing. It sounded ridiculous and I put it on because my spouse wanted something brainless while she did work and I got hooked, we watched 6 episodes this afternoon.

Ummmmmmmmmm…

Is he just going to be remaking the Sandler movies, playing all the characters by himself?

No, it’d be a return to Standup-Comedy Eddie Murphy, which is what everyone has wanted for decades. Of course, whether he still has the edge is the millions-of-dollars question.

“Ice cream! Ice cream! You don’t have none because your mom’s on welfare and your dad’s an alcoholic.”

Eddie Murphy in his prime was legendary on stage.

I mean I’m game, but I suspect it wont be what anyone wants.

Hopefully I’m wrong and you can make family-friendly content for decades and then go back to being a stand up guy, but I doubt it.

This just showed up on Netflix- a documentary on the Cambridge Analytica situation regarding the 2016 election. I’ve just started watching. Interesting stuff.

Just finished watching the Finnish show Borderliner (not to be confused with the excellent Finnish show Bordertown) and can report that the former is equally excellent. Not sure why the Scandinavians seem to be so good at dark police / crime shows, but I haven’t encountered a bad one yet.

So, after one episode, Another Life seems to be the answer to the question, “What if Arrival, but dumb?”