The Netflix TV Show Thread

Ah! I’ve always wondered when someone was going to make a (modern) movie or show about “Major William Martin” and that whole crazy scheme.

Oh, n/m the below.

That’s about Operation Market Garden, right? I think I saw a teaser at some point. Is it out already?

Watched the first ep of Human Resources last night (love, love, love Big Mouth).

Was okay. More Connie & Maury is always welcome. A little concerned they’re leaning a little too hard on “lookit how much we can swear! Netflix! Woo!” but willing to give it a few more eps to see if the characters can work.

It’s OK. Still good TV, but not nearly as good as Big Mouth.

Looks excellent indeed, but I think it’s a movie rather than a TV show.

Whos the idiot that posted it in the TV show thread??!!?!?!!

:D

Season 6 was a bit of a letdown, I’m afraid, and the finale a copout.

That reminds me I need to finish watching the latest season.

With Derry Girls season 3 starting up again in the UK, its time to rewatch season 1-2!

Shocking that there is NO DVD/Blu Ray release of this amazing show!

Ooh, thanks for the heads up, I hadn’t heard that.

I’m not familiar with the show, but the Derry Girls were pretty funny on Celebrity Bake-off, so now I’m interested.

Derry Girls was great. I had no idea a 3rd season was coming, I’m excited!

Derry Girls 3? Awesome!

In other news, Mrs. Kub and I are enjoying Bridgerton s2 a lot. I wasn’t sure how it would play with the protagonist changes, but it has been fun.

Derry Girls is a show I would never would have watched had my girls not wanted. Now, any time they have had friends over who have not seen it, we start it again. It is hilarious all the way through on repeated viewings.

It really is a special show. So why on earth is there no disc version of it available?

Derry Girls is a show we never would have watched, but after the British Baking Show I figured I’d give it an episode. It quickly became a favorite with my wife and I.

It’s just a sitcom, but the writing and timing are excellent.

Two things.

1. Damn you, Frank Langella. I thought you were a good dude.

2. This is no minor reshoot. He’s the main character.

Aww, bummer x2.

Also I had no idea this was in the works and it sounds awesome. So yay?

+1, I really liked The Order as well. Too bad it didn’t get a 3rd season, but I didn’t feel cheated out of the continuation of the story either.

The reason I hadn’t watched it before now was that I thought it was another one of those licensed Netflix supernatural shows that takes itself far too seriously to be watchable; it was just giving off the same wibes as something like Shadowhunters or Outlander. That’s not the case. The Order knows that the setup is ridiculous right from the first scene, and never stops leaning into it. If it ever looks like it’s taking itself as a serious bit of drama, it’s probably just an elaborate setup for something absurd or gruesome.

Most of the characters with any longevity are great too, and it feels like the actors are really having fun hamming it up. (Except Jack, who is kind of boring throughout.)

Three reviews of Netflix shows that you probably should not watch. They seem appropriate to deal with as a unit, given their similarities with 1) being in German, 2) having unlikeable characters, and 3) intrigue based on technobabble.

Biohackers is pretty awful, I only soldiered through it for German practice. It’s supposed to be a thriller around a girl with a mysterious past, who enters the university to study bioinformatics but has a secret agenda. Every character is unlikeable, people keep betraying or pretending to betray each other, and everything they do with the bioinformatics hook is just absurd (amatereurs doing gene manipulation miracles in their home lab, the most unbelievable introductory university courses you can imagine, a vapid biohacker influencer storyline, etc).

At least it’s short, at two seasons of six episodes each.

How to sell drugs online (fast) is even worse, I couldn’t stomach more than one season of this tripe even as language training. It’s basically “what if Breaking Bad, but the main character was a high school student with no skills”. The main character is unlikeable beyond belief, the creators totally seemed to have missed that Breaking Bad worked because the audience was fooled into rooting for Walter White to start with, and then boiled like a frog. Here you’d not spit on the main character if they were on fire.

Everything about the drug enterprise is incredibly stupid. The ascent from selling a handful of pills to a drug kingpin is really fast, completely unjustified, and with opsec that’d get the guy arrested in a month. (Of course, like in Breaking Bad, a family member is the cop.)

The Billion Dollar Code should have worked for me. It’s a startup story combined with an authentically grimy feeling early '90s Berlin, which is the second sexiest possible setting for any piece of media (after late '80s cold war Berlin). And unlike the other two, here the performances were solid and believable, and the technobabble actually made sense thanks to this being based on a real story.

Where the show runs into problems is that the show is telling a story of naive hacker heroes in the euro-periphery whose work gets exploited by evil Silicon Valley big tech. In reality the guys were scumbag patent trolls. They wrote a program, got a patent for something that should not have been patented, and then did nothing with the program or the patent for a decade until they found some fat pockets to shake down. The show tries to make them look sympathetic by compressing the timeline to something more like two years, but that just doesn’t work; the implication ends up being that Google Earth was released in 1995, and the cognitive dissonance is too much. It’s just clear that there’s a decade long timeskip and that if they were going to do anything more than an art installation, it would have happened.

(And then looking under the hood of the real story, it turns out that basically everything else around this theme was fabricated too. E.g. it was the Germans who sent a patent shakedown letter to Google, when the show claims that the contact was the other way around and Google was going around small companies asking for prices on their patents for some kind of a “hahaa, you stated a small number and now you’ll never be able to recover damages” catch-22. )

I think I would have liked this if they’d just used a fictional big tech co, and it would have been easier to pretend that the timeline worked. And the main charaters would infact have been heroes, rather than scum. But I realize this is a very “me” problem, others might not react that badly to the inconsistency or patent trolls.