The Netflix TV Show Thread

“Everybody’s depressed, Maria. It’s called being an adult.”

I love this show. It is so uncomfortably honest and ridiculous at the same time.

BTW, the ESPN 30 for 30 on the Duke lacrosse team is up. Feel like in a day and age when social media judgment pile ons tend to be de rigeur that this is required viewing.

So, Danger Mouse on Netflix has been pretty cool. Some serious acting chops are behind it to. Brian Blessed in one episode, and Stephen Fry as the Colonel.

I just got on this train as well. Loving it so much.

The Chef’s Table season 2 is now out.

— Alan

Just got the email. Peaky Blinders season 3 is live. See you all on the other side.

I watched the Nashville episode of “Masters of None” yesterday. Another brilliant episode. And I love the country songs they used in the episode as a soundtrack.

Also, whoever recommended that 30 for 30 about the 84 Chicago Bears, that was a fascinating watch too, now that I’m a football fan.

Oh damn! Netflix just announced that they’ve signed a deal to produce a 10-episode series based on G.L.O.W.

Created by Liz Flahive (Homeland) and Carly Mensch (Orange Is the New Black), G.L.O.W. was inspired by the real story of the 1980s female wrestling league. Set in Los Angeles and showcasing big hair and body slams, the series tells the fictionalized story of an out-of-work actress who finds one last attempt to live her dreams in the form of a weekly series about female wrestlers.

Flahive and Mensch will serve as showrunners and will executive produce with Kohan and Herrmann.

If you ever watched the old G.L.O.W. wrestling show and enjoyed it for it’s goofiness, there’s a great documentary about the whole thing.

“The Grand Tour”. Not the worst name ever, but I was sorta hoping for something funnier :/

I’m liking this a lot, too. Some of the Duluth stuff is gut-wrenching, though.

I thought for sure the high-powered agent was Kathryn Hahn riffing on her sex-crazed campaign manager from Parks and Recreation, but TIL it’s Ana Gasteyer, whom I’d lost track of after SNL. Ep3’s “Cup the balls!” chant was bananas.

I love it, burned through it all in a day. Is any show more gorgeously shot?

The Chef’s Table is such an amazing series. It is so cool to see the diversity of genius within the culinary arts.

Huh. Is it me or are episodes 9 and 10 of Lady Dynamite out of order?

This made me go back and watch these two episodes and I would say that the beginning of episode 9 would make no sense given the ending of episode 10, so I would say it’s just you.

I love Scott and Maria as a couple, so it was really a treat to watch episode 10 again. This show is just so stupid smart.

“We all have to deal with a lot of shit. Even the solitary Capuchin monkey.”

Was browsing through the new additions section and surprisingly they’ve already got Believeland up. 80 minutes later and now I hate everything.

The dream of beating Netflix geolocation through smart DNS work seems to be dead. Or at least on life support.

Remember back in January when they said they were cracking down? They weren’t kidding.

Apparently they put up a very focused, very smart wall on VPNs and DNS unblockers five days ago that is presenting the biggest problems yet.

Smartflix essentially shut down. They’re refunding money on subscriptions and closing shop.

Borderless says it’ll be at least two weeks to fix.

Getflix is intermittent and clearly being targeted.

Ah, well.

So they’re blocking commercial VPN services by their IP range presumably. But they wouldn’t block a random server. Could be a service that just sets up VPNs for people on random hosting providers for a small surcharge on top, and that would be unblockable.

The VPN range is one they figured out a while back. That’s why smart DNS services and unblockers became such sweet hotness for a while.

Now they’re doing something to kill that access model too.

And…I don’t blame them, honestly. It sucks for me as a consumer I guess, but it makes sense for them. Honestly surprised they let it go on this long without getting super aggressive.

Yeah, unfortunately thats the legal world we live in, where especially in Europe you have a gazillion different markets each with their own licensing rights.

Though I am surprised that this is actually such a big thing. I would have thought that only a very small percentage of the Netflix users are tech savy enough to even use services like unblock us or VPNs?

Nah, its VERY easy. Most have comprehensive guides or videos to explain the steps needed. Its really just changing your DNS and then going to the services website usually.

People can get very tech savy when it comes to free entertainment ;-)