The Netflix TV Show Thread

@mulvihill79 5h5 hours ago
As always the quarterly Nielsen Total Audience report is a wealth of interesting facts and reality checks. A few things jumped out to me:

The average American now spends an incredible 10 hours, 39 minutes per day with electronic media.

Average American’s total media time has increased by 1 hour in the last year (to 10:39), but TV time has fallen by only 3 minutes (to 4:31)

@mulvihill79 4h4 hours ago
6% of the US population accounts for 87% of all streaming video viewing.
10% accounts for 83% of all smartphone video viewing.

Smartphone video viewing, 1Q 2016:
Heaviest Users (10% US): 21 minutes/day
Rest of US Population: 28 seconds/day

% of US Adults Not Using Media AT ALL in a Given Month:

AM/FM Radio: 1%
TV: 7%
Phone App/Web: 21%
Phone Video: 38%
Game Console: 75%

I’m mystified that 99% of US adults still turn on the radio. Unless they’re counting being in stores that play muzak?

I listen to AM news radio all the time.

I listen in my car every time I drive, but rarely anywhere else.

Man, yeah, I guess so. I’ve been carefully curating my own music collection (from binders upon binders full of CDs in the olden days to my not-insignificant MP3 collection to the magic of Play Music) so long that the idea of just sort of passively allowing music to just roll over me is utterly alien by this point (that sounds more negative/judgey than I’d like, sorry!).

Largely true among my friend groups, too. And then all the (weird) people who don’t like music and find the news depressing. And non-drivers!

I dunno, I think I’m sticking by my absolute astonishment at that particular figure!

Muzak isn’t AM radio, and, crazily you’re really not supposed to play AM radio in stores if that’s part of your store…thing. Restaurants, department stores, buildings, etc. that use Muzak have licensing fees figured into their monthly service fees for it.

Same here, Armando. I drove somewhere with my dad the other day, and the radio just felt like a completely alien concept to me.

I’m mystified that it’s not 100%. Who doesn’t listen to the news/NPR/sports on the radio while driving? Sometimes I want to find something on Spotify to listen to in the car, but most of the time (on short daily trips) I just can’t be bothered.

FYI Muzak is gone. They went heavily into debt and wound up selling to Mood media.

They do a whole package thing with music, signage, and in-store/building mobile wifi marketing.

Back in the day, you could go to a Muzak testing place, sit in a booth with headphones on and listen to a couple of hours of mood music in exchange for some cash after you filled out a questionnaire about the experience. Did you recognize the songs? Were they too upbeat? Too slow? Did any of the songs hold negative connotations for you? It was a popular activity for college students. They earned some cash and got a couple of hours of study time.

Sure, I mostly listen to music and podcasts, but in the morning, I like listening to news radio to start my day with a snapshot as to what’s going on in the world today.

Yeah, I listen to a fair amount of NPR/MPR and sports talk. Play Music while I’m working, though. Otherwise my language center overloads. I get stressed out if I’m trying to process two language streams at once.

99% of the time I’m listening to my music streaming from Amazon. Otherwise it’s the California Report (on PBS), or a Giants game/sports radio

Podcasts work for that too

Well, for one, those of us who don’t drive.

Personally, I’m shocked anyone watches video on their phones. The screens are so fucking tiny, and the bandwidth so shitty and expensive that I can’t imagine how it would be a worthwhile experience. Also, that must eat battery like a man who’s been starving for a month.

raises hand

5.7" screen isn’t huge, but it’s certainly enough to see, and it’s easy to put on a show in the background while washing dishes or in bed, when the TV isn’t accessible anyway. Wifi is available at home and at plenty of places I might find myself, so it’s unnecessary to use mobile data. And Amazon lets you download shows for offline viewing, so it is easy to toss a few episodes on the phone before going on a plane or something. Battery usage is about the same as most other activities on the phone, but I keep chargers in the car and my desk at work, so battery issues are generally academic.

I sometimes toss a LinusTechTips or similar video onto my phone while driving home as a stand in for a podcast (my work-home commute is only about 8 minutes, so it’s actually surprisingly terrible for actual podcasts!). And I’ll often watch recipes in bed to prep for cooking later on or even the next day.

In both cases, it’s on my Galaxy Note 4, which has a sizable screen, and I’ve got T-Mobile’s truly Unlimited plan, so blowing through 15 or 20 GB/mo is no real issue to me.

This is one of my favorite parts of Amazon Prime. Amazon provides you with a ton of free music to stream. Their video streaming has become rather robust as well so for less than $10 a month its become a pretty good deal.

At home I have my tablet, which is actually a good size for streaming video.

Yeah, that too, but the usage data specifically called out phones rather than mobile devices in general, so that’s what I was going with.

I don’t think there’s ever been a day that I can remember when I didn’t listen to the radio. Even on the days when I listen to podcasts in the car (usually NPR podcasts), I always check the radio first to see what’s on NPR, and only switch to audiobooks or podcasts if I don’t like what’s on the radio. And that’s pretty rare.