The Netflix TV Show Thread

I just watched this. Like you, much I already knew. But not about the monkey stuff later on…and their initial proposal … that’s some serious weird shit.

I finished watching “The Honorable Woman” on Netflix. Holy crap. I think this might be one of the best shows I have seen in a long, long time. No spoon feeding. Intricate plot that surprises again and again.

Planet Earth II is on Netflix now. Really impressive how they get some of the shots in these episodes.

Yeah, my parents have a 4K TV, and it’s the first time I’ve seen something in 4K. It really should be the 4K’s killer app. The Netflix subscription is a little more expensive to allow for it, but man, it’s just so gorgeous.

I’ve seen bits and pieces from 4 episodes so far. The starting episode, Islands, was the weakest. Mountains and Jungles and Deserts all had some really impressive bits that are amazing.

You should see it in 4K HDR. It’s nuts (also Blue Planet 2).

That bit with the iguanas and the snakes was literally front page news in the UK, and won a BAFTA. So it’s still a pretty damn good episode.

I did say I saw bits and pieces from each of the four episodes. I don’t remember seeing any iguanas and snakes, so it seems I didn’t catch that part. (I visit my parents briefly so as not to accrue wife aggro, and have to leave after a while).

Even from the other 3 episodes, I haven’t seen a single one all the way through.

Their LG TV does have HDR. Is the Netflix version automatically played in HDR if the TV supports it?

In general that is the case with Netflix HDR shows. It shows Dolby Vision if the TV is capable, HDR10 if the TV can only do that, and SDR as a fallback. But I don’t know if Netflix has the HDR version. It’s not on Netflix in the UK - I have the UHD Blu-Ray. The TV should pop up with an HDR logo in the top right whenever it starts playing an HDR source though.

Also, I believe you need to have whatever streaming plan supports HDR. The base HD streaming (2 streams) sub doesn’t. You need the step up 4-stream, 4k, HDR plan.

It’s not in DV/HDR on Netflix - just 4k

You’re thinking of Planet Earth II.

He was responding to someone talking about Planet Earth II.

Anyone checked out Babylon/Berlin or whatever it’s called? Period drama set about 10 years after the First World War.

Yes, watching a bit. It’s getting my attention more than Dark, the other German show that dropped a bit ago. Characters seem interesting, the pieces are dropping slowly thought (I am in chapter 3).

It’s set in the roaring 20s. There’s interesting bits that challenge the little history I remember. There’s a big dance hall where they played a song that sounds a lot like rock and roll. Apparently, a lot of the stuff we think of as modern was invented around this time.

The series is not historically accurate afaik, they “styled it up” some. Not sure if what you refer to is one of those things but it is possible.

Ahhhh okay! I don’t know much about music so I just imagined it was some precursor of rock and roll.

I thought I heard that the music thing you mentioned was a bit of a sly nod to more modern songs, as was done in Westworld.

Ok, I watched season 1 of Narcos when it first came out and thought it was great. Keep meaning to watch season 2 one of these days but its subtitled status means I can’t watch while doing something else also.

Then I saw this just now on my Netflix homepage and was blown away by how quickly the show has moved. I’m guessing this is an error?

Season 5 was terrific.

It’s a mistake, there’s three seasons out at the moment.

It only gets better with each season so far!

If Narcos continues to move north and change drugs every season, Season 6 should be set in Canada with two guys cooking up Moose Meth in their ice fishing shack.