The Netflix TV Show Thread

Another thing that may not have twigged for US users who were unaware of the VPN trick: quite a few prestige shows get special Netflix deals abroad so that they go up right after the US TV broadcast, or at the very least as soon as the season as finished. The former happened in the UK with the last couple of seasons of Breaking Bad and with Better Caul Saul. If you’re a cord cutter, you might want to try the UK or the Dutch versions of Netflix to see if a contemporary season is available.

Great show this…

Hmm, “super easy” and “MORE” make for very compelling arguments…

Unblock Us changed my life. I used to be grey and depressed, and fat, and had no friends. Now, after I bought into Unblock US, I have squirrels sewing my clothes while I dance around and sing. I’m not saying squirrels are very good at sewing clothes, but at least its something else! I fully endorse Unblock US for this reason.
Oh, and the wonderful shows you get access to!

Razgon, does the Andersen dude use squirrels to sew the clothes?

Because in America, we think of the Sleeping Beauty song. Sorry Disney coopted your stories!

Canadian Netflix is absurd. No wonder there’s no crime there. Everyone’s inside watching their amazing Netflix.

I’m diggin’ Unblock Us, so thanks for the recommendation! The only downside is that using it with a Roku requires quite a bit of inconvenience. Ah well, I’ll just use my ps4. It works flawlessly there.

I can’t tell how many people got hooked on Unblock US after I introduced them to it (Work, friends and the like) - It really is an excellent service. IF one ever has issues, their costumer service is also extremely agile and answers fast so I can’t recommend them enough!

I set up Unblock on my PS4 and the rumors are true: it’s great. I visited Canada and started watching a BBC comedy called W1A. Pretty funny, and you gotta love those 4-episode “seasons” they do at the BBC.

Welp, Unblock-Us is now getting my money every month, what an excellent service. Thanks again!

I signed up for a month, since the first month was on sale for .99 this weekend.

I changed it through my router, so theoretically all devices should have thought I was in England. Unfortunately I can’t get Netflix to change regions on either Xbox 1 or PS4. I got it to change on my desktop and phone. On Xbox 1, I even went in and changed my language and region settings. So my Xbox thinks I’m in England, I was able to download apps for Channel 4, 5, BBC’s iPlayer, and Al Jazeera English. But for some reason Netflix still thinks I’m in the U.S., since Better Call Saul still doesn’t show up like it does on my desktop and phone.

Same deal with the PS4. My PS4 itself I can’t figure out how to change it so it thinks I’m in England, but I did change the settings like it says on the website, and Netflix is still not showing Better Call Saul.

Someone didn’t RTFM! ;)

You have to change the DNS servers on each of the devices, and they show you how to do that. It’s not enough to just change them through your computer on your router.

Some devices, such as the Roku have hard coded DNS servers which require a but more router trickery.

I did that for each device. PC, Phone, XB1, PS4.

Don’t do it for your router, only the devices. After that, use the website on each device to set up the country you want to use.

To get global netflix I just use a VPN. Lets me change servers on the fly without having to go into DNS settings in my router to change countries. It seems to be the same price with a good company (e.g. Torguard) as unblock-US. One of the problems with vpn from the machine is that it can be hard to find a vpn app. I watch netflix from my computer which of course is no problem, iPad has a good openvpn app, and for the tv I got an android stick that plays netflix well and has an openvpn app installed.

For roku and PS4 and the more closed ecosystems, can’t you apply a vpn on the router as you would DNS? Then you won’t have to root it or force it to change dns? It’s an honest question, I have never used a DNS service.

Wouldn’t that mean you would have global settings, instead of individual settings on each device? Thats whats so great about Unblock US.

Unblock is so very much easier than a VPN. Incredibly easy, and pain free. With a VPN, you have to subscribe to one that offers you portals in every Netflix country you want to watch, which is both pricey and a pain in the butt. And using it for media servers like PS4 or Xbone consoles sounds like a nightmare.

With Unblock, you set it up on your computer, and that can be automated. You put in the DNS settings once in your device that you want to use. Then anytime you want to switch, you just tell Unblock to switch you to another country. No hunting for a VPN server or portal, no worries about speed and lag.

I subscribed and added the Unblock-Us DNS to my router since I use DHCP off that. That way I just head to their web site and change it there, after which it is in effect for every device on my network. To get around the Roku problem of static Google Public DNS being hard coded into their devices, I just set up a static route that leads back to my router for 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I do have to reboot my roku whenever I switch regions, but it’s not that much of a bother after all after I realized I could watch Waterworld any time I wanted.