The Netflix TV Show Thread

I’ve watched three of them now. They’re kinda cool, but kinda feel like they’re aimed at teenage boys. A little “edgy” for the sake of being edgy.

Sonnie’s Edge - You know Blur Studios, the company responsible for 99% of all those gorgeous game cutscenes you like? Well this is them, so of course this looks like an awesome video game cutscene. It’s cool looking.

Three Robots - This is a funny one, but there’s no reason it needs to be “NSFW”. It’s a silly little story that’s not meant to examine anything deep, you’re just supposed to watch and laugh as three robots explore the remains of civilization. And it’s funny, but it feels like they just dumped in some profanity so it would fit in with the rest of this series.

The Witness - I really wanted to like this one because it’s directed by one of the Into the Spider-Verse people (and you can certainly tell by the visual style). But it’s just a pretty looking style applied to a half-formed idea. Imagine the least interesting exploration possible of some kind of sci-fi paradox/twist concept. Okay, now imagine it’s even less interesting. Keep going…keep going…there you go! That remaining shred of an idea is all that Witness has to go on, but of course, the woman is naked for most of the short. Doesn’t serve the story, she just happens to be some kind of sex-worker/dancer.

I’ve skimmed some articles expressing concern over how women are treated and portrayed across the whole series, and I don’t really know how it all plays out, but I’m not surprised it’s getting a little pushback. I understand the idea of titilation for its own sake as entertainment, but as I said, this feels like it was designed to appeal to a teenage boy.

I’ve watched a few (5 maybe?) of the LD+R shorts so far. I’m generally liking the concepts and the various art styles are great.

Three Robots was silly fun (I agree the profanity was more distracting than anything).

I bounced off The Witness, but really wanted to like it. I.e., I wish we’d seen a better story told with that twist. Looper and Predestination are better full-length examples.

Suits was my favorite so far by a large margin. Fun bit of world building and especially with the zoom-out at the end, really brought home that the overall environment and world wasn’t just a setting, but a character in the overall story. I found myself wanting to see more stories in this setting.

I’m not sure this is entirely fair.

Regarding profanity: the antiseptic environment of network television is the fantasy world. (The Good Place pokes at this really hard.) In reality, most adults I’ve ever interacted with use profanity casually and on a regular basis. It’s more normal to have it than to not.

Regarding nudity: I’ve watched about 2/3 of them. I’d have to count, but I’m willing to bet that dongs are equally prevalent as boobs in this series. I mean I know there’s an argument to be made there that the audience for this series is probably predominantly male (though I’m not sure why this must be so), so male and female nudity serve different purposes in it. I mean, I guess that’s valid. But I also really like this series and I’m not a teenage boy.

My favorite short so far has been Beyond the Aquila Rift, but I liked the visual style of The Witness best and kind of viewed its trifle of a story as just a palette on which to paint the animation.

LD+R is my new favorite thing. It seems the trend on Reddit is to announce to the world your ranking of the episodes, but that seems so self-centered. I’m many, many years removed from being a teenage boy, but this series is exactly the sort of entertainment I crave. Hell, I still watch Heavy Metal a couple times a year (I want my Locnar!).

Some are better stories than others, some have better art/animation. I know a lot of people hate on The Witness, but I’ve watched it three times already.

Oooh, just watched Suits, I really liked that one.

I skipped to the end and watched The Secret War which is really something to be seen. The visual work in that one is a-freakin’-mazing.

It sounds like Love Robot and Death deserves its own thread.

You would think in this day and age we’d have better filter options. I should be able to go to my settings and turn off dongs, or boobs, or dongs and boobs.

Watched the first three of Robots and it’s ok. 1st one was the best to me. The thing that stuck out from Three Robots for me was that I would guess the two creators don’t have little kids. Casually throwing in a dead little kid skeleton as an inconsequential random thing in the background isn’t something I’d expect from a parent.

For The Witness, it’s interesting but it seemed a little too obvious that the one being killed was her at the beginning. I guess you’re supposed to recognize that, with the lipstick mistake.

I’ll watch the rest later at some point so hopefully the rest of them are a bit better overall.

Regarding the Witness: I noticed her face, too, but I though the dude was just delusional. Then she ends up in the apartment…

I agree with Matt_W that the animation in The Witness was the reason to watch it- it really had a cool style. I need to watch Into the Spiderverse one of these days.

I’ve only got a couple episodes left to go, but I think the first three episodes are definitely in the bottom half as far as I’m concerned. They aren’t all winners, but there is some really interesting stuff in there and most of the animation is really great.

I really enjoyed The Order. The Magicians is better, but The Order reminded me of Buffy just less fast, witty patter. Some of the comedy bits were great I thought, and while it kept threatening to degenerate into a soppy romcom I am happy to report they mostly bludgeoned, exploded, or lit those scenes on fire.

Surprised to see such a negative reaction here. I am going to be pretty bummed if it doesn’t get a second season.

Well, hell. Maybe I should just power through the rest of it in the background while I’m working on other stuff.

These shows all blend together for me so I don’t remember individual episodes but I would think by 4 you would know if you like it or not. On the other hand I did dislike pretty much every single character in the beginning, but that slowly changed over the season. By the end I was enjoying their individual quirks instead of annoying me.

I looked forward to watching every episode, which caught me by surprise. It reminded me of Lethal Weapon, as a show that almost inexplicably captured my attention.

I know right? I recommended Riverdale to a friend. She gets back to me saying “I watched the whole thing. The show fucking sucks.” Wait, why did you watch the entire season?

Haha, I stopped after 4 on Riverdale as well. It just failed to capture my attention, but I still feel obligated to finish it.

I never did finish S1 either. The redhead twin thing was annoying. I just thought my friend would like it.

Ok, I finished watching Love Death & Robots yesterday, time to comment! Only a few lines per episode, I don’t have time for more:

"Sonnie’s Edge" : Good. Well paced, nice revelation at the end, good art, characters reminded me a bit of the style used in Dishonored, btw. I guessed the blond girl was bad news, but I didn’t guess the true nature of the MC, although it was perfectly guessable, looking back in hindsight.

"Three Robots" : Eh. It was pleasant enough, I guess, but ultimately forgettable. Too on the nose with the jokes. It seems placed to server as a breather between the first and third episode, which were more ‘edgy’.

"The Witness": Amazing photorealism in several scenes, combined with the more cartoon-like faces, made for a very interesting art style. It was unnecessarily edgy in parts (it really didn’t affect anything to the story), but that’s almost par the course with shorts like this, when they give no restrictions of subject to creators accustomed to more limits and restrictions. Cool end, there was no explanation for the time loop, if there was a time loop, but it kind of doesn’t matter, right?

"Suits" : Entertaining and well realized short, although obviously it isn’t very deep or anything. The drama, while basic and limited as they are with time, was well done.

"Sucker of Souls" : This surprised me as obviously it’s the first without science fiction elements. With the title I thought all of them were scifi. Deep as a puddle, of course, and it has some very trite dialog lines, but I liked it because I thought the action direction on the first scenes (and in general) was superb. Really good camera movement, enhancing the tension, while still giving a very easy to follow action for the audience. And the animation was smooth as hell of course.

"When The Yogurt Took Over" : Nice one. Good, cute style, simple, but with a nice core idea of the yogurt manipulating the situation from the start while being a ‘benign dictator’.

"Beyond the Aquila Rift" : Another of the good ones. Amazing photo realism in a good amount of scenes, and the end really surprised me. The obvious thing was that the woman was obsessed with him since their last fling and had manipulated everything, but it wasn’t that. Surprisingly, I read some people where their take on it was a simple ‘bad aliens were laying a trap to catch ships!’. Uh… it seems obvious enough that the real twist here is that the ugly looking alien IS really honest, and they were a peaceful, empathetic species (which contrast with our prejudices of what good aiens and bad aliens look like, like the human prejudices of the crew) and they didn’t have anything to do with the accidents, they just are receiving at their nest the starships because there is a glitch in the human gate system a galaxy of distance away; so they are doing whatever they can given the bad situation.

"Good Hunting" : Man I loved this one, right up to before the end. Love the style, love the idea of having a Chinese Witcher :P, loved the development of the story being about the son not really following his dad steps and coming to the city, loved the steampunk twist, but I didn’t like how in the end the entire purpose of all that was just have the protagonist being able of turning the woman into an animal robot of death and destruction, for a bog standard vengeance story against edgy evil colonialists. For example, if they would have developed a love story between them, with the conflict being how their attitudes to the society’s development wasn’t matching (with her growing weaker and bitter in the steampunk city, and him thriving more and more) until they break up, I would have liked it more.

"The Dump" : Ehh. I thought the twist was uninteresting, and it really didn’t do anything special with the plot or the characters. The first I give a thumbs down.

"Shape-Shifters" : Photorealistic style, but a bit less good than other shorts, this one falls several times on the uncanny valley, so I’m not sure of giving it up the thumbs up. At first I thought they were genetically enhanced humans, but it really went literal with the title, with werewolves everywhere. Average tale of military duty, honor, and loss. Not awful, but not really one of the good shorts.

"Helping Hand" : I liked it. It’s about a very specific situation, the entire short is a pair of long scenes, almost. But it’s well done, the important thing is that you get empathy with the protagonist about her terrible situation, her pain and her determination to suffer terrible things to survive. You really feel what she has to do, auuuch.

"Fish Night" : Nice visually, with all the glowing animals in the night, but that’s it. It’s magical realism that goes nowhere.

"Lucky 13" : Great character visuals, I thought at times they were actors, but strangely the ship/environments seemed more like a videogame CGI, it made it feel the visual a bit uneven. The story is… well, forgettable. i get what they were going for, but I didn’t care.

"Zima Blue" : Pleasing 2d art after so much 3d, and it’s combined with a slower, more meditative pace for a good effect. And the end is really surprising. Now that I think back, he first did the cybernetic enhancements because subconsciously he was trying to come back to his origins.

"Blindspot" : An action oriented one. The action itself was all correct, decently thrilling, but I didn’t like it. I didn’t like the art style it was going for, nor the ‘attitude’.

"Ice Age" : Meh? I didn’t disliked actively or anything, but not one to remember.

"Alternate Histories" : This is too short, and it doesn’t tell anything interesting. It’s a short ‘short film’, which at the same time it divides itself in several micro-tales, so as you can imagine, there isn’t a lot of time for each one. The humor was off, a bit too puerile, and that was the main feature here.

"Secret War" : WW2 soldiers fighting monsters. It doesn’t go very much deeper than that, but it was actually good. The pace, the feeling of the squad being pressured by the higher ups and being too thinned out, the air of rigidity of the army mixed with people getting by as they can, the unfairness of discovering the truth but not being any worth and it would even come back to them, the hopeless of the situation, it was all very well expressed.

I’m up through Lucky 13—I read that Netflix doesn’t present them in the same order for everyone, but mine matches yours.

I’m still entertained overall with the diversity of the episodes, I hope Netflix does more of this. My opinions don’t line up specifically with yours episode by episode. Animation on Sucker of Souls “smooth as hell”? It looks more like a storyboard sketch than a finished animation. Lucky 13 not working for you? It was my second favorite! I would say that so far, more of these stories miss for me than land, but the misses are still interesting (and sometimes beautiful) curiosities, so I still enjoy the whole show.

But “It’s magical realism that goes nowhere” is the criticism that resonates most with me. Not just for Fish Night, but overall. That’s my most common complaint, a lot of these “go nowhere”. They’re a half an idea explored but not resolved. No twist, punchline, or climax. Just what ifs that trail off. I don’t know what solves that, a better producer? More time? Just better scripts? Oh well, like I said, this is still pretty cool overall.

Pick up any short story collection. This is how they are, and these are more like sudden fiction than short stories. I guess I don’t mind them being a sketch of an idea.

I finished them and generally liked them all. My least favorite was probably Alternate Histories, which was just dumb. My favorite was probably Beyond the Aquila Rift, but I’m a fan of Alastair Reynolds already.

I was kind of surprised by the straightforwardness of the military ones (Shape-Shifters, Lucky 13, Secret War.) There was no hidden subtext there, no attempt to humanize the opposition; it’s just good guys against bad.

The presence of Mary Elizabeth Winstead was enough to make it memorable for me:) I actually liked this one a lot. I really enjoyed how the observation she made at the beginning about historical anachronism kind of returned as almost an in-joke at the end.