The Netflix TV Show Thread

Or even the three gladiator version that never made it to the states! OR ALL THREE! fans self

It’s a glorious time to be alive.

Uh oh: http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/14/10767982/netflix-blocking-proxies-vpn-country-restrictions

I started enjoying Unblock-us a few weeks ago. It would be a bummer to go back to UK only.

Wendelius

This was bound to come up next time Netflix had to renegotiate a big content contract if not before. They have to keep the IP holders happy a whole hell of a lot more than they have to keep a (presumably) small group of technically savvy users happy.

Bummer for you lot, though.

Yep. That’s one bubble burst.

Figured it was coming. Spending $14 monthly to get access to that much content was a huge market inefficiency that couldn’t last.

And of course, it’d be so easy for them to fix by monitoring you at the account level, which is what I imagine they’ll do. There’s no way you can argue that within a span of three hours that you’ve been in Argentina, Japan, and Denmark.

But I have a jet! Promise!

Eh, they said the same thing a year or two back. Maybe they’re more serious this time, maybe it’s just for show.

The fact that the statement deliberately mentions VPNS and DNS switchers and uses the word “unblock” tells me they’re more serious this time, and have a certain service dead in their crosshairs.

They have your billing info so the easy way would be to tie your version to your billing address. Vpn won’t help with that.

Yeah, but then they cut into legitimate traveling subscribers. There are folks who can legitimately say that they’re in Luxembourg one day, Belgium the next, France or Germany or Italy or The Netherlands another. Would severely impact Netflix’s European operations to tie it strictly to billing address.

I wonder if I should stop using un-blockus before they do something? I’m hoping the worst that will happen is that the service will just stop working. It would suck if Netflix took some type of punitive action against those of us who use it.

I wasn’t planning on using it for that much longer anyway. I’d found about 10 movies that I wanted to see in various countries and put them all in my queue. And I’ve already seen about 6 of them, including 21 and 22 Jump Street, Dispicable Me, Thor 1 and 2. Just a few more and I was done anyway. Like Fast & Furious 3, 4, 5, 6.

Yeah, but then they cut into legitimate traveling subscribers. There are folks who can legitimately say that they’re in Luxembourg one day, Belgium the next, France or Germany or Italy or The Netherlands another. Would severely impact Netflix’s European operations to tie it strictly to billing address.

Sure, but that’s what everyone else (eg Amazon) does.

You could well be right, but this is what they said this time last year:

“The reality is we blacklist known VPNs in accordance with our content contracts - Foxtel, for example, owns House of Cards in Australia so they kind of like us to block them. But we are not changing our policy. It remains the same as it ever was.”
The BBC verified his comments with Netflix, which added: “Our terms of service state that you are not allowed to virtually cross borders because of content licensing systems.”

I doubt they will do that. At worst, you will get a notice from them, telling you that DNS services like Unblock us are no longer allowed. I have an email from an emplyoee of theirs telling me that its not an issue to use such services, so I doubt they will take punitive actions, when by all accounts, their policy was to allow it. At least, unofficially.

I’ve used Unblock us for about 2 years now, so I’ve had a good run with it. While its an annoyance, its not like we are going to run out of shows. Especially with the strong persistent rumour that Amazon will make a Scandinavian presence 2016 permanent through offices , offering Prime and their TV as well through it.

Yes, and if you can’t parse the difference between that vague statement, in which they hedge with “known VPNs” and this one, where they don’t, I’m not sure we’ve much to discuss.

“In coming weeks, those using proxies and unblockers will only be able to access the service in the country where they currently are,” David Fullagar, Netflix’s VP of content delivery architecture, wrote in a blog post. “We are confident this change won’t impact members not using proxies.”

But why would those people need to get local Netflix instead of what’s available in their home country?

Netflix has signed a deal with Colleen Ballinger Evans to create an eight-episode exclusive run of Miranda Sings called “Haters Back Off.”

No. I didn’t know who this was either because I’m old.

Weird that Netflix did that and not Youtube as part of their Youtube Red thing. I’ll watch it. I don’t subscribe to her channel, but I enjoy it when she crops up on other people’s. It’s a character that’s best in small doses, though. Intentionally grating.

Well, I dunno. Because it’s there.

It’s not about what people need. In any local country, they only have the rights to view whatever rights have been negotiated for that country. So if you’re visiting Denmark from the U.S., you’ll only have access to Denmark Netflix, even though you have a U.S. account, not because you want to have access to a smaller library of content, but because that’s the content that’s been negotiated for Denmark by Netflix.