The Netflix TV Show Thread

I see the content providers probably caring more about preventing people evading those restrictions by using VPNs and so on than making sure people that are travelling or living in other countries on temporary visas get the appropriate content for the country they happen to physically be in. But I might be wrong.

I see the content providers probably caring more about preventing people evading those restrictions by using VPNs and so on than making sure people that are travelling or living in other countries on temporary visas get the appropriate content for the country they happen to physically be in. But I might be wrong

Contractully speaking, the country the viewer “happens to physically be in” is all that matters.

Report tonight that the CW shows are going to get pulled from Netflix to go onto a custom service. Flash, Arrow, iZombie, Supernatural… Watch them while you can.

The levee’s breaking…

FWIW, btw, Unblock-us replied in a tweet to a user that of course they’re aware of the Netflix announcement and will “adjust” if the services they offer are disrupted.

Dunno if that means they think they can work around it, or they’ve got another business model in mind. If Netflix ties region to billing address, though, not sure how a DNS switcher works around that.

Thinking more and more I’ll wind up canceling when my free year from my last phone purchase runs out. They’ve lost a ton of content over the years, and I’ve watched most of the exclusives I plan to. Much to the content providers’ chagrin, however, I have no intentions of subbing to their individual services. TV was nice when I could watch it all for ten bucks a month, but the overwhelming majority of it isn’t worth more than that to me. Bunny ears cover the rest.

The price sounds semi-reasonable as these things go but they are on drugs if they think they have enough pull to get me to sign up.

Well, we’ll sign up for the new Star Trek show (if it gets good reviews from fellow fans), and presumably they need a reason to have us keep our membership longer than it takes to binge watch a season of that show.

Ouch - that hurts me a bit more than the unblocker removal - especially since I’m pretty sure the CW shows will NOT be available in Denmark in any form. (Other than linear tv, which I don’t do anymore)

These studios never seem to take in to account how important catch up viewers on Netflix can be. Signing exclusive deals with Amazon or being fool hardy enough to try creating another service will severely limit a show’s ability to grow a viewership through word of mouth and people getting caught up on streaming. It it self evident to me that a currently running show’s presence on Netflix has value greater that the streaming revenue alone.

Well I’m caught up with Flash and Arrow, so if their current episodes still appear on Hulu I can live with that. I was thinking of checking out iZombie but I’m not sure I’m ready to marathon it just in case it disappears. So, their loss I guess.

Also, I have the internet, so I can just download things.

Read as: A list of shows that I will never watch (save iZombie, which I caught early enough that I’m current) if I don’t get to them before they’re pulled. A shame, because I’ve heard good things about all of them. Not good enough that I’m willing to add another payment, account, and app/website to my current setups though. There’s a lot to be said for the convenience factor that having everything under one or two services provides vs a la carte services per network – and truth be told, I don’t trust all of these companies to provide the quality and platform ubiquity of their apps that Netflix does.

IZombie is only 13 episodes. Wouldn’t be too hard to catch up, and its an enjoyable more-ish show.

Wendelius

I think this is actually the first one of these spin-off services that would actually sell me. I watch Arrow and Flash, but I’m out of date on both. iZombie surprised me by maintaining my attention. There’s the new Crazy Ex-Girlfriend show that I want to see, but haven’t been willing to front the season purchase price to try out. And the upcoming Legends of Tomorrow is surely going to be on my list.

I could see dropping Netflix for the new service. Then I’d subscribe to Netflix for a month or two to slurp up their original content.

Shit, I guess I have to catch up on Arrow (something I should have done prior) and hope that I can watch Arrow when they show reruns in the summer.

But Supernatural? Nobodies got time to watch all of that!

Anger

Bargaining

Acceptance

Bargaining/Acceptance hybrid.

2 to 4 bucks isn’t that bad for their entire catalog, if that does happen. It’s closer to the a la carte tv option I’ve always wanted. There’s probably a dozen channels I watch at all every year. If they all charged 2 bucks each for monthly access, my cable bill is still significantly lower than what it was when I cut the cord a few years back.

Feh, I’ve watched the majority of it at least twice.