The New (and Old) Music Thread for 2016

I’m hereby chartering the new music thread for 2016. And for god’s sake, feel free to post about ANY music that’s moving you. Doesn’t necessarily have to be new.

New songs are nice too, though! Keeping an eye on Landshapes, f’rinstance. This track is lovely.

This thread has so much more gorm than last year’s!

Did anyone ever check out the playlist I dropped in the 2015 thread?

Not yet, getting to it!

I’ve been busy listening to (and still working on) my own playlist which ended up at a whopping 84 songs. But I am now Following yours, forgey! Looks like just a bit of overlap with my list but generally louder which is good. I’ll listen to yours during my late-night Destiny sessions.

Speaking of Enya, I know it’s not cool to like her but damn, the new album is terrific. Back when Watermark first appeared, her sound fit in perfectly with my 4AD ethereal-feminine-voice fetish. And then Steve Martin used her music at the climax of L.A. Story, still one of my favorite comedies of the 90s. I’d given up on her in recent years as most of her recent recordings sounded uninspired and samey. So if you don’t mind checking your hip & cool credentials at the door, give her album Dark Sky Island a spin. It’s the best thing she’s recorded in over a decade.

Even in the Shadows

I’ve enjoyed cruising both of your spotify playlists, forgeforsaken and rrmorton. It honestly never occurred to me that browsing other people’s playlists were a good way to discover good music in spotify.

Here’s a short playlist of songs that stuck out to me during 2015 (in no particular order): https://open.spotify.com/user/tjrneal/playlist/3NlrkIEAWgkoQpNLqd3xGl

Should have a nice diversity of tempos and styles, as well as some Australian music that you guys may never have heard before.

A sadly sweet fucked up life ended last night. Kevin Junior–a Chicago dude who was in a band called The Chamber Strings and also played and produced with both Epic Soundtracks and Nikki Sudden–passed away. Dunno how, but he’d severely abused his health in years past and had to have open heart surgery in 2011 (and no 41 year old should have to undergo that.)

Woulda, coulda, shoulda…

Ugh, sucks. I met Kevin Junior a couple of times at Chamber Strings gigs when I lived in Chicago in the early oughts. Gospel Morning was a fantastic album.

Yeah, it’s so goddamn good, and I gather it was made under fairly trying circumstances. I know he’d ended up relocating to his old hometown of Akron after his surgery pretty much left him on disability and living with his mother and playing a few gigs with a northern Ohio version of the Chamber Strings.

He was a very nice guy, loved to talk music.

Some great stuff on here! I’m only halfway, but the first dozen or so are practically a tribute to girl-fronted indierock from the 90s…Tsunami, Velocity Girl, Spinanes, Heavenly were some of my favorites too!

Once I get through this, onto rr’s.

New Explosions in the Sky album coming out April 1.

— Alan

Thanks for sharing that. It’s beautiful. I haven’t really listened to Enya much since Watermark, so this is a nice journey back. She still sounds great.

Yeah there are all these young new bands that are channeling the 90s pretty hard right now and, as those were my college years, I think it’s pretty great. There’s a bunch of indie alternative bands, a decent amount of shoegaze as well, and there’s even some of that late 80s early 90s industrial going on with bands like 3TEETH, who are opening for Tool at the moment.

Hey Lush fans, they’re back!

With their retrospective box set coming soon, Lush are back. They’re playing Coachella, and that’s not all—Emma Anderson, Miki Berenyi, and Phil King have announced their first North American tour in 20 years. After some West Coast dates surrounding Coachella, they’ll return to play the East Coast in the fall. Find the dates below.

During the tour, the band will be joined by Justin Welch (formerly of Elastica) on drums.

Lush:

04-14 Los Angeles, CA - The Roxy
04-16 Indio, CA - Coachella
04-17 San Francisco, CA - Warfield
04-19 Portland, OR - Crystal Room
04-20 Seattle, WA - Showbox
04-21 Vancouver, British Columbia - Commodore Ballroom
04-23 Indio, CA - Coachella
09-14 New York, NY - Terminal 5
09-15 Boston, MA - Royale
09-18 Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre
09-21 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
09-22 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer

At the Drive-In has announced a new world tour, and new music. First live show since 2012 I think, and first new music since 2000. I’m stoked.

Well, I’ve just “discovered” another good guitarist/band that has gone under my radar for apparently 27 years. Axel Rudi Pell has just today released his 16th album, Game Of Sins.

First heard the title song on The Rock Show.uk on the Christmas special, and thought it was pretty great. Granted, Axel Rudi Pell is the same age as me (55), and is obviously pretty comfortable going back to the 70s and 80s for inspiration. He never breaks new ground, but there is something comforting in the focus on melody and slower guitar solos that never strain your ears. Everything stays pretty midrange throughout the entire album. I love it, and always look forward to the solos.

How this guy has made 16 albums without me knowing about it is beyond me.
And for something completely different, here’s his hard rock take on “Halleluja”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU-VJOzb-10
I’ve discovered this cover on Rhianna and now I’m listening to this band.

New Eagulls track released and is pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FP1NKNMOw

Wish I could say the same for the new Bloc Party album…

Can’t wait for the new Primals album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC77NtzW7U4

Beach Slang going on tour with Potty Mouth and Dyke Drama, this is a great bill.