The New (and Old) Music Thread for 2016

An unknown tramp meets Gavin Bryars meets God. Covered by the man himself, Tom Waits:

Ok, someone help me out here, this little bit of the new Angel Olsen song Sister from 7:00-7:10 is reminding me of something else and I can’t figure out what it is, it’s driving me nuts.

Bruce Hornsby? No idea why that thought came to me. (I guess it’s the little cascade of notes from the chorus for The Way It Is.)

Something tells me that’s not the droid you’re looking for.

That Angel Olsen song is killer.

I am an old man. It’s not easy for me to learn new music. But I have to put two things here. These were new to me during the last two years. These are the bands that I really like.

De Staat

Wax Fang

I purchased the white vinyl limited edition of The Astronaut by Wax Fang. Something I normally wouldn’t do. And I have been devouring everything by De Staat.

YMMV.

Here’s another great new track from the upcoming Weyes Blood album.

With all the amazing vocal acrobatics on “Seven Words”, I didn’t notice how much her lower register voice sounds like a young Aimee Mann.

And this is another “Coulda been the Left Banke” melody.

You’re right! The Left Banke is exactly what I’m hearing in those beautiful, unexpected melodies.

New Teenage Fanclub and Wilco albums out today! Good year for new tunes.

I can vouch for the Fannies album. It’s no “Songs From Northern Britain”, but it’s good stuff.

The recent De La Soul album is sounding ridiculously smooth at the moment.

The new Wilco record makes me hope that an Uncle Tupelo reunion will be in the works soon. I thought Star Wars was a boring record. This sounds like a record full of songs that were too boring for Star Wars.

The new Beach Slang is up over at NPR
http://www.npr.org/2016/09/15/493917872/first-listen-beach-slang-a-loud-bash-of-teenage-feelings

Dispatches From My Bunk: The new album from Preoccupations (formerly Viet Cong) just came out.

This new Kim Gordon track sounds a lot like some Martin Atkins/Chris Connelly related project (RevCo/Murder Inc./Pigface)

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas. As the kids say.

That tracks is great. Like I need more, that Preoccupations album is going on my “to listen” pile.

Currently obsessing over: a new Divine Comedy album, “Foreverland”. More of Neil Hannon’s super-precious, literate chamber-pop. I can’t help it…I’m a total sucker for this sort of thing.

The first full-length from Flyying Colours is due out on Friday…but who the hell wants to wait that long???

Not you! Not me!

There’s a stream up here!

I’m in the middle of my first listen, and I’m giddy. GIDDY I TELL YOU at how good this is.

Oh my stars.

In the comments: “I was not expecting a Grizzly Bear collab so soon.”

Tanya Donelly covering Eliot Smith

for the upcoming Eliot Smith tribute album that also features Juliana Hatfield, J Mascis, Amanda Palmer, Lou Barlow etc

This is great. Hope they come to the US.

To those of us interested in dark ambient music (pretty much just me and rr, I think), the new Lustmord album, Dark Matter is out and is flipping gorgeous:

“This project is derived from an audio library of cosmological activity
collected between 1993 and 2003. It was gathered from various sources
including NASA (Cape Canaveral, Ames, The Jet Propulsion Laboratory and
Arecibo), The Very Large Array, The National Radio Astronomy Observatory
and various educational institutions and private contributors
throughout the USA. While space is a virtual vacuum, it does not mean
there is no sound in space. It exists in space as naturally occurring
electromagnetic vibrations, many well within the range of human hearing
while others exist at different regions of the electromagnetic spectrum
and these can be adjusted with software to bring them within our audio
range. The recordings of these interactions in space come from several
different environments including radio, ultra violet, microwave and