The New (and Old) Music Thread for 2016

This might be just for rrmorton, but the fantastic Weird Dreams have a new song out after four years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tPjaTNRZcU

YES!!! Was just coming to post about it having seen it on social media. Woohoo!

Digging how dense and atmospheric that Weird Dreams new track is. Very much a departure from a lot of Choreography.

And so, speaking of departures, I love watching Elephant Stone just evolve and grow in different ways. Remember when they were a cute, retro sunshine pop band?

Yeah. Dig their new track for their upcoming record. Unrecognizable as them until you get to that blissful bridge. I love this song so much.

I reminds me quite a lot of Radio Dept. Pretty excited for a new album.

Yeah. Dig their new track for their upcoming record. Unrecognizable as them until you get to that blissful bridge. I love this song so much.

That is really nice. I’m not a huge fan of Elephant Stone (the weak vocals always kind of let it down for me) but that’s an excellent track. Electropop suits them.

Not sure how I feel about the Mass Gothic album. This is Noel Heroux’s, of Hooray for Earth, new project. I was never really into HfE, but I quite liked the preview track released last year, Nice Night. First listen of the full album didn’t grab me, though it is growing on me on subsequent listens, so it might be one of those albums.

Also listened a bit to Dyke Drama since they are on that tour I listed upthread. This is a Sadie Switchblade of G.L.O.S.S. solo project, though where G.L.O.S.S. is hardcore punk this is very Paul Westerberg inspired, more so than Beach Slang IMO.

This new Suede album is a stomper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL15Nvlf7ZU

And then also good gravy but I’m hooked on the new School of Seven Bells track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5O1JHUP1u0

New Weird Dreams?? Why didn’t you tell me?!

…This is really good.

This is really good. I happened to be listening to Depeche Mode right before putting it on and it slipped right in perfectly.

Been listening to the new Suede now for a while, and I think its the best thing they’ve done since Dog Man Star. It’s a very, very dark record. Probably not a coincidence that in an interview last month, Brett stated that his greatest regret was “letting” Bernard Butler leave the band. That he should’ve done something more to convince him to stay or something.

While I’m sure that went over well with Richard Oakes (Barney’s replacement), Oakes sounds really great on this new disc too.

First new Lush track

Was just coming to post it because SWEET FANCY MOSES THAT SONG IS GREAT!!!

OMG Lush. I had such a big crush on Miki Berenyi

I am not sure that there was a more blazingly hot human being of either gender playing rock and roll music in the 1990s than Miki.

I’ve been listening to some old school Blondie lately and I have a new found respect for Debbie Harry

I have been on Blondie discovery/rediscovery jags for the last few years. Really great career, and probably got buried for a bit in the 90’s and aughts, undeservedly.

In addition to your respect for Ms. Harry, hopefully you’re gaining an appreciation for Clem Burke, who may have played some of the best drums to ever appear in the post Moon era.

Vi Subversa of the feminist anarcho-punk band Poison Girls has passed away at 80.
http://pitchfork.com/news/63662-poison-girls-vi-subversa-has-died/

Here she is just a few months ago still performing.

Not a bad first single from someone that was on the uk X-factor:

I am completely addicted to Hamilton OCR:

And I don’t get nuts about Show Tunes, outside of Sweeney Todd which was a favorite.

Listen free on Youtube:

Background:

Origin story:

This album from Crescendo is pretty good. Dreampop/Shoegaze (more on the dreampop side)

Sturgill Simpson took outlaw country to the NPR set a couple of years ago with Metamodern Sounds in Country Music. He’s released the lead single from his upcoming album, a concept album called A Sailor’s Guide to Earth. It will apparently include a cover of Nirvana’s “In Bloom.”

Brace For Impact (Live a Little)