The new animated GIFs thread that is ONLY posts with animated GIFs in them!

The top one is a bobbit worm. The bottom one is Vampyroteuthis infernalis, the vampire squid from hell. Seriously.

Your bobbit worm makes me think of this:

Thanks @TranquilityBase , that’s some amazing nightmare fuel.

Some quick research shows it’s a Basket Star. During this research it went from nightmare to elegant and then right back to nightmare -
https://giphy.com/gifs/3bzJzmUmtK2PpNmGsP

bobbit worm
considering these worms can grow to sizes of nearly 3 m (10 ft) in some cases

tumblr_meuc5kKbve1qihztbo1_500

I believe these are known as the P&RForum Fish:

Sea stars are awesome. They have a series of tube feet along their underside that provide locomotion - they are kind of hydraulically powered by the star’s own circulatory system, so they can suck to surfaces and allow them to climb things:

When I used to work at the Seattle aquarium, kids would frequently grab sea stars from the touch tank, and sometimes one would even crawl into their hand. Once I heard a kid start screaming because a sea star had “sucked” into his hand and wouldn’t let go. Mind you, the kid was in no pain, it doesn’t hurt if they attach, but he was understandably kind of freaked out. His mom didn’t know that though, and she was yanking the sea star off as hard as she could. We did get them separated but the sea star lost a bunch of its tube feet, unfortunately.

I recall hearing, which may be wrong, that they move by consensus. Some feet move one way, some the other. The majority of the feet win.

Could be! They don’t have a brain nor any central nervous system whatsoever so it’s not like there’s a directing intelligence.

Pretty sure it was Peter Watts who wrote about it. He was originally a marine biologist.

Wheresmygif

Now let’s go to Moses, standing by in North Carolina

“I’m the only one who mounts her!”

Here’s another look at this magnificent animal. Its basically a poisonous bear trap.

It is also bio luminescent.