The New Iran Treaty

Has Trump threatened to pull out of the Security Council yet? Because it’s a “terrible deal” for the US or something?

The Security Council hasn’t paid us the protection money it owes us for ages.

Except for Russia of course…although maybe they didn’t pay the US directly

Trump, however, is famous for going off script, leaving experts and diplomats alike wondering and worrying about what to expect when Trump chairs the Security Council.

Originally, the Trump administration said the topic of the meeting — held while Trump is in New York for the opening of the annual UN General Assembly’s general debate — would be Iran. But that’s since changed to nonproliferation more broadly — not because of any outcry from Iran, but rather to avoid giving Iran the right to respond, according to David Bosco, an associate professor at Indiana University who studies global governance at the United Nations Security Council and International Criminal Court.

“Council rules provide that a state shall be invited to participate in a meeting relating to a dispute to which it is party,” Bosco said. “If Trump’s comments end up being focused exclusively on Iran, some other council members — and Bolivia would be the most likely — may argue that Iran should be given the right to respond.”

On Friday, Trump, as if unaware of the official change in subject, tweeted, “I will Chair the United Nations Security Council meeting on Iran next week!”

Well, official declaration of war for when?

Golly, if only we could negotiate an agreement with Iran to stop such behavior!

We did.

Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, Vienna, 14 July 2015
PREFACE
The E3/EU+3 (China, France, Germany, the Russian Federation, the United
Kingdom and the United States, with the High Representative of the European
Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy) and the Islamic Republic of Iran
welcome this historic Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which will
ensure that Iran’s nuclear programme will be exclusively peaceful, and mark a
fundamental shift in their approach to this issue. They anticipate that full
implementation of this JCPOA will positively contribute to regional and
international peace and security. Iran reaffirms that un

No, the UN resolution is different than the treaty Trump tore up. He shouldn’t have done that, but Iran is breaking a different agreement as well.

The resolution is different, but it’s about the same deal. The thing that Trump refused to certify Iran’s compliance with, leading to sanctions and hence breaking the deal, was the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.

It’s my impression that Obama’s Iran deal did not cover ballistic missiles. That was one of the objections the John Boltons of the world had to it. As I recall, before they tore up the deal, they were highlighting Iran’s missile activity as a violation; and, when it was pointed out to them that it wasn’t a violation, then they insisted the deal needed to be renegotiated to include missiles. Is that not right?

https://twitter.com/IsraeliPM/status/1095748204405104641

This is not a spoof account. This Netanyahu, from today.

… and they deleted the tweet. I pulled it directly from Twitter before that happened. This guy captured an image of it.

Well, sure. He’s about to be charged with various crimes like bribery and the likes. Right before the elections in two months. Of course he’s trying to start a war to distract everybody and convince them he’s the only one who can keep israel safe. I fuckin’ hate my country that keeps on voting for him time after time. We deserve whatever we get.

For similar reasons, I’m sure the US will be right in there with you. Trump also needs a distraction and a win.

I also think we’re risking a lot less than Israel is. This… could get very bad.

Not just on Twitter. That’s what he said to reporters.

I guess it really is all about the Benjamins.

It’s all bullshit.

The IDF isn’t built for power projection. The distances involved would be insane for Israel.

Iraq won’t have any part of it. They’re barely getting their shit together, needed a shit-ton of help from the US just to beat ISIS, and most of them are friendly with Iran, being fellow Shias and all that.

Not a problem if you can easily dupe Trump into forcing the US to do all the heavy lifting.